• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

default notification sd card

discohornet

Dec 27, 2009
I actually like the default ringer type sound that comes standard as the SD card mounting sound. I'd like for it to be my ringer. I actually got it to work once using tone picker app but it wasn't perfect and had some quirks when using it. What I'd like to do is find the actual file and make a copy of it in my ringer folder (I have root access).

But I looked high and low and cannot find where that default sound is on my droid. Anyone know?

"droid.ogg" is located in the /system/media/audio/notifications folder. But I don't think just copying it to the ringtones folders will work. You'd have to either use a 3rd party app ... or copy and paste the file, delete one of the stock ones and rename droid.ogg. Make sense?

I just tested my theory using Root Explorer and it worked perfectly. I copied droid.ogg to the /system/media/audio/ringtones folder. Then I renamed DroidInvasion.ogg to DroidInvasion.ogg.bak (instead of deleting it). Lastly I renamed droid.ogg to DroidInvasion.ogg. When wanting the "DROID" ringtone, just select "Droid Invasion" and you're golden.

Upvote 0
Um shouldnt you just be able to move droid.ogg into ringtones and it'd show up right on top of Droid Invasion as "Droid" That's what mine did before I deleted all the stock ringtones.

Droid.ogg was already in /ringtones too. But maybe Pete added it there.

But to the OP, if you don't have root access you won't find it. If not PM me and I'll email you the file and all you have to do is put it in sdcard/ringtones

Edit: here's the file to download. someone uploaded it on 4shared.com

Upvote 0
hmmm, this is weird. See, I don't like the "Droid" notification. It was a lower-toned ringing sound. Like a digital phone ring but not the regular one here. It sounded like a phone, but lower pitched than the "digital phone" that is in the sounds folder.

Does that make sense? When you unmount your USB and have SD card notifications on you would get this sound.

Upvote 0
Joe, thanks a million for your help, everyone else, thanks, seriously. But that's not the sound. I found it by mistake a long time ago and it still remains a secret I suppose....

A couple months ago I was using Tone Picker and when I pressed the "Default Ringtone" button within its UI it somehow picked out this lower toned digital phone ringer. For a while it was the sound my phone made when I unmounted the sd card. Now I don't get it anymore. I was thinking of digging through Pete's old themes to see if I can find it. But I don't know if it was a root thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones