1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Default Notification Sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kiwasad, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Kiwasad

Kiwasad Newbie
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    I updated to Froyo then to Velocity 1.0. With both of these it seems that the default notification sound is overriding my others.

For example, I have Chomp. I have a ringtone for that but whenever I receive a text it plays the default notification sound.

I have tried resetting my phone and I have tried setting the default to a system sound.

Advertisement

2. chevyrado14

chevyrado14 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    iirc you have to have the notification sound in the settings menu set to a stock sound. then you can set the notification sound in each app to another one and it will play the right one.

3. Kiwasad

Kiwasad Newbie
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    What do you mean by a stock sound? I believe I have it set to one now...

4. chevyrado14

chevyrado14 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    a sound stored on the phone not on the sdcard

5. mjp2365

mjp2365 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    If you don't mind losing some of the system notification sounds you can use a file manager to do a little workaround. Personal ringtones are not a problem on this phone, but the notification sounds listed are the only sounds the phone will recognize for notifications. However, if you have a sound that you would like to use for a notification you can simply rename your personal sound file to one of the notification sound file names, with the same file extension, and use the move or copy function in several different file managers to place your renamed file in the directory where the notification sound files are stored. Not ALL file managers will do this. Ghost Commander and Astro were both able to paste or move files into system directories. Once you move your file into the directory you simply choose that notification sound for whatever you want. Can also be done with Busybox commands, but it is a little more difficult.

6. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator Windows/Unix
    Illinois, US
    or simply make a folder on your sd card labeled media and inside that one labeled notifications.

7. socobandit

socobandit Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    SE PA
    That still works, but with Froyo, your default notification set in settings/sound must be one that is on the phone, not on the card. Even adding one with root explorer into system/media/audio/notifications doesn't work. never tried the renaming idea though.

Just did the renaming idea...renamed a file exactly the same as one of the stock ringtones, and it worked. Thanks mjp! i don't know why i didn't think of that, but it does make me happy!

Tags: