• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Default Ring Tone not Remembered

kwalla

Sep 17, 2011
www.solavei.com
I am on 4.3 with a Nexus 4 and have set, many times, my ringtone to be a file I downloaded from Zedge. I open up the dialer, go to settings, pick the default tone and all is good for some random amount of time.

I can look back an hour and my ringtone will be "unknown". I haven't turned off my phone or reset it -- other than it going to sleep.

Any idea why my phone won't remember which ringtone to use?

If a call comes in when it says "unknown" for the ringtone, it won't play anything...

It sounds like a corrupted sound file that may or may not be related to Zedge.

Try setting it to another ringtone in the same folder as the one that is having an issue. See if that replicates the problem. If the problem does not happen with the second file, I would guess it might be a corrupted file for the first sound.

Upvote 0
That's what I finally had to do ever since I got my Note 2. It must have something to do with the OS letting the external card going to sleep or something.

I think(?) Its something to do with the external card not being mounted until too late in the boot process to be set as a default (or something like that lol) :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones