• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Default ring tones

Hi new forum user and new Moment owner.

So far I'm still getting used to this phone. I've basically been stuck in the vanilla style cell phone for years so this is my first foray into the advanced market. I am a geek however! ;-)

What I am needing is some ring tones other than the default ones that come on this phone. I have found a few on the Market but so far none are filling the bill as to what I need. Basically I have a little hearing loss so prefer basic tone type ring tones rather than a tune or clip from some song or movie.

Funny but I kinda like the ring tone of the old standard phone ringer. Can someone suggest something on the Market or some other alternative?

I suppose it's as easy as downloading anything using my computer and sending it to my cell phone and using it from there. If so what's the best format to use?

You can use just about any format. One of the sites I love for ringtones is: Zedge.net

Everything on that site is free. If you copy it to your SD card.. you can go to the music icon and just open the music file.. and hit menu and do set as ringtone. That is the simplest way. :)

Oh and I prefer MP3

Upvote 0
** My folders had to be setup this way to read tags and avoid putting alarms and ringtones into Music lists for stock Music player:

Root of SDCard:
* create folder call it music and put *.mp3s in there for playback and listing in default music app
* create folder called media, under it create folders "Alarms", "Notifications" & "ringtones". Use these for those files and they will auto list for you

DOne other ways mixes songs and ringtones and notifications and such all together in media player.

Upvote 0
Here's what I have:

\sdcard\media\audio\ringtones\

I imagine you would want the following for alarms and notifications:

\sdcard\media\audio\Alarms\
\sdcard\media\audio\Notifications\

In the ringtones folder I dropped a bunch of .mp3 files. The mp3 files showed up on my list of ringtones for use.

I tried Ringdroid but the ringtones it created were really crackily and not good sounding.

I got a bunch free ringtones from here: Ringtone by title | CrackBerry.com

Enjoy.

Upvote 0
Perhaps someone needs to post what the default folder structure is supposed to be and how it's used on the SDcard. For instance if one downloads ringtones through the phone and save them where are they saved to on the SDcard if the default folder structure is all that's there? How about downloading an MP3 though the phone. There's not a Music folder by default is there?

The SDCard folder usage as I got my phone was this:

> DCIM
---> .thumbnails
---> 100ANDRO
---> Camera
> Saved Pictures

I think the Saved Pictures folder was added when the Sprint guy copied my old phone to the new one.

Upvote 0
You might consider searching for sound effects, etc... instead of ring tones specifically.

As others have already mentioned, you just have to put the audio file in the right place.

I wanted a better sounding bell telephone ringer than the stock ringer. I found a sound effects website with a great sounding old school bell telephone.

It wasn't necessary, but in my case, I used audacity (a free audio editor) to shorten the silent space at the end of the audio file, and I boosted the volume slightly.

There are tons of great samples out there to find... just broaden your search instead of only searching for ringtones.

-SF

Upvote 0
Perhaps someone needs to post what the default folder structure is supposed to be and how it's used on the SDcard. For instance if one downloads ringtones through the phone and save them where are they saved to on the SDcard if the default folder structure is all that's there? How about downloading an MP3 though the phone. There's not a Music folder by default is there?

The SDCard folder usage as I got my phone was this:

> DCIM
---> .thumbnails
---> 100ANDRO
---> Camera
> Saved Pictures

I think the Saved Pictures folder was added when the Sprint guy copied my old phone to the new one.

As I listed above, the stock player and ringtones and such worked in the folder layout as I had listed

<root>
music
media
> ringtones
> alarms
> notifications

Upvote 0
You can use just about any format. One of the sites I love for ringtones is: Zedge.net

Everything on that site is free. If you copy it to your SD card.. you can go to the music icon and just open the music file.. and hit menu and do set as ringtone. That is the simplest way. :)

Oh and I prefer MP3

I have good news for you! There is a Zedge app for Android now, just search Market for "zedge"! :)

- Stig (CTO@Zedge)

Upvote 0
I have good news for you! There is a Zedge app for Android now, just search Market for "zedge"! :)

- Stig (CTO@Zedge)

Downloaded today.. installed.. played. Love it. Not only is it easy to apply ringtones/notifcation sounds..but its a solid app too.

I was already a Zedge Fan.. but I just showed this app to a few buddies of mine who were on the edge about getting android phones.. and now they are. lol

Cheers Stig for the heads up!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones