1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Default Ringtone and Notification Sounds will not change

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PaulFL, Dec 4, 2018.

1. PaulFL

PaulFL Lurker

I have a Samsung: SM-J727V.... naturally not on the list! I have tried without success to change the default ringtone and notification sounds. Settings to Sounds + Vibrations. After selecting one of the options, I am taken to SD/Internal and then to the various folders. When I finally select the sound and ok, I am told this can not be changed. The funny thing is the sound for notification can not be found in the system using a program such as ES File Explorer.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

With ES you'll need to go into it's settings and choose unhide hidden folders.
    Those sound files are in the system folders and cannot be accessed by default

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Can you change it to any other system tone? or just not the ones on your SD card?

4. PaulFL

PaulFL Lurker

Thank you for the suggestion regarding ES... will try that.

5. PaulFL

PaulFL Lurker

No other options are shown as system tones. Though it will allow me to access either the Internal folders or SD card for sounds, the 'system' will not allow a change when something is selected.

#5 PaulFL, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. PaulFL

PaulFL Lurker

What a fool I was to once think I had at least a clue regarding computers/file structures! I must cry UNCLE when it comes to the phone. I unlocked the hidden files as you suggested- actually thought I had done that before- but was unable to find even the system file let alone the sound/tone file. This Android is just another world!