1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support default time zone and current city problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jon1812, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jon1812

Jon1812 Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Retired
    Canberra, Australia
    I bought my Desire S in one city (Brisbane, Queensland) while on holiday. Having returned to my home city (Canberra, ACT) I find the default time zone for new calendar entries is always Brisbane. Similarly, when I tap on the clock on the home window, the list of cities shows up with Brisbane listed as my current city. I have managed to list Canberra as my home city, but it still thinks I'm in Brisbane. I've tried all the obvious things (that I can think of) - e.g. manually setting my location, automatic setting using GPS etc. Despite all this it still shows Brisbane as my current location and defaults to Brisbane time zone in new calendar entries. (For non-Aussies, Brisbane is the same time zone as Sydney and Canberra in winter but doesn't go on to daylight saving in summer.)

Any clues from anyone?? I suppose I could solve the problem by moving to Brisbane but I was hoping there was a simpler phone-based solution.

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    There could be a couple of things going on which may or may not be related.

For the timezone, there's a setting for enabling your local network to automatically detect it. Touch the clock on your 'Home page' > Menu > Local time settings > and make sure Automatic is checked. If you prefer, you can also set up the time zone manually. You can also try to uncheck it, come out of the clock settings, then go back and re-check that setting.

Do you have the weather widget on any of you Home screens or have you played around with it? Touch the weather picture in the weather widget (it might be part of the clock) > Menu > Settings > uncheck the top two settings (Update when opened & Update automatically) > Home > then back to the weather widget and check those two settings.

3. notebook

None

Jun 10, 2011
    Another thing to try is Menu > Settings > Accounts & sync > uncheck Background data and Auto-sync. Then turn off the phone. Switch it on again, wait a few seconds, then go back and check those two settings.

And one more. Menu > All apps > Setup > and follow those through. You can try changing the automatic sync settings to manual and uncheck the Google location settings. Then turn off the phone, go back to Setup and re-check those three settings back to automatic.

Jon1812 likes this.
  4. Jon1812

Jon1812 Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Retired
    Canberra, Australia
    Hi notebook. Thank you for all your suggestions and for taking the time to respond. I tried them all (even in the order in which you suggested) but the phone doggedly insists that I'm currently in Brisbane (i.e. Brisbane shows up on the list of cities in the world clock as my current city) and still defaults to Brisbane as the time zone for new calendar entries.

I have to say I'm a bit concerned if the phone doesn't seem to be able to tell what time zone or city I'm in from the network settings. Every other phone I've had detects my location immediately (e.g. when I turn on the phone after a flight).

5. notebook

None

Jun 10, 2011
    When you were in Brisbane, did you use wifi with your phone? If so, delete the setting you may still have for it. Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > long press the holiday setting and/or any other you used and select 'Forget network'.

Then try deleting the one you use at home in the same way, then adding it as a new network.

Another thing to try is to rename the SSID (network name) of your home router. You'll have to amend your wifi devices accordingly.

Tags: