• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Define All-in-One

Correct. An all-in-one (or AiO) is a computer and monitor together. Upside is the smaller footprint, downside is that you're buying a new monitor every time you need a new computer (I used the same 19" LCD on 3-4 different builds before it died).

An AiO also somewhat difficult to upgrade compared to a tower, and will have limited internal space for more storage devices.

Usually there's a cable routing hole in the stand that you can run your cables through to make it neater, some come with a wireless keyboard and mouse, or you can get your own wireless keyboard and mouse.

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
Went to BestBuy and fiddled with the Pavilion. Despite several shortcomings, it still seems pretty amazing for the price. And speaking of price, Amazon has it for $420, free shipping, no tax... goodbye, retail shopping.

I asked the guy about getting the Start menu back in Win8, he just shrugged. So I googled and found How to bring back the Start menu and button to Windows 8, which mentions Classic Shell, Start8 and Pokki. Any recommendations on them?

Upvote 0
Bink, the owner, is a great guy, and I was highly active in his previous VstaX64 and Seven forums for a long time. There are a ton of knowledgeable users there that will help you out in a pinch, and each site (VistaX64, sevenforums and eightforums) has many of the same users there helping out other users and making great tutorials. You really cannot go wrong with any of his sites.

I'd recommend his sites for recent Windows OSs as I would this place for all things Android, if that gives you a clue. :D

Upvote 0
Been hearing mostly negative for Win8 – the curse of the every other Windows release – and mostly positive for Win7. So, planning to be a good guy and buy local, I’m liking this Acer - 18.5" Veriton All-in-One at Best Buy, with Win7 pro. They want four hundred sixty-ish... maybe I can wave a website in their face and get ‘em to eat the tax?

Upvote 0
It never hurts to ask :)

As for Win7 v Win8, it's a tough one. Win7 is fine. Win8's still a bit of an unknown quantity. No-one raves about it but then no-one really rips into it.

Seems to me that if you don't have a touch screen, there's not a whole lot of reason to buy an upgrade. On the other hand, it doesn't sound so bad you would go out of your way to avoid it.

Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with Win8, just get the Classic Shell to bring back a (customizable) start button and it's good to go. You only get the Apps if you have a widescreen (1366x768 or bettter), but that's no great loss. I'm running Win8 on an old Celeron E3300 dual core with 4Gb DDR2-800 and it's perfectly useable, feels quite snappy really.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones