1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Defualt E-mail App and K-9

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by B.Risky, Feb 22, 2011.

1. B.Risky

B.Risky Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    First, I recently set someone up on a new Samsung Captivate.

We set up their Exchange E-mail account to go through the Default E-mail app. This worked fine for a few days, but then would stop working and give a 'connection error' without providing any other details. (Obviously cannot send/recieve E-mails at this point)

I deleted and re-added the E-mail account to the Default E-mail app, which solved the problem. However, we got the connection error again a couple of days later.

Other than removing and re-adding the account I have not been able to find a way to fix this and it has happened to us 3 times. Anyone have any ideas or run into this before?

Second, I installed K-9 e-mail app from the market hoping the issue was with the default E-mail app itself. When I check for mail sometimes the app does not find the new messages which I can see in Outlook, they show up eventually but it may take several 'syncs' to get the E-mails. Also the timestamp on the E-mail is incorrect....? This App does not have ActiveSync Push capabilities, if anyone knows of a decent free E-mail App with this Push function I would love to know.

If anyone has any information on either of these situations or has a suggestion for another free E-mail app please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    If you're stuck using Exchange, try Touchdown. While K-9 has better Exchange support than stock, it's main focus is towards actual documented and open standards (of which Exchange is not) that can actually be supported by 3rd-parties (IMAP, etc). K-9 support push over IMAP just beautifully... that's how I use it.

3. B.Risky

B.Risky Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation on how K-9 works. I tried this App because I heard it was similar to the default E-mail app. By no means am I complaining about K-9(it is free....what is there to complain about?) it just lacks some things I feel are basics....Push E-mail, sync Outlook Contacts, Select/Mark All....I know, picky right?

Unfortunately, I am stuck with Exchange and we were looking to stick with a free app.

Any suggestions beyond touchdown?

Again, I would love to stick with the Default App if anyone has a fix to the "Connection Error" we periodically get....

4. kcau

kcau Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Ottawa, Ont., Canada
    I am using the stock exchange app. When i was running 2.1 i also had to have my gmail account sent to SYNC on .... even though i was only looking to sync my work exchange server(emails/contacts/calendar).

Now that i am on 2.2 i don't have to SYNC the gmail account any more. I don't know if this is some kind of bug or an odd setup of my specific phone.

Even as it is now, the default captivate exchange tool is terrible .... living up to the expected low standard of Samsung software tools. Even my $170 iTouch did exchange better (and took only 5 minutes to set up). At least the contacts came in well ... so i can manage my phone list etc (and back it up) directly from Outlook.

Anyway .... enough ranting ... try messing with the gmail sync settings as well.

KC