• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Has anyone 'deknoxed' their note 3 yet. I have just done a Note 2 N7100 and all went well just wondering if I should try the 3 N9005?

By 'deknoxed' I'm presuming you removed all traces of Knox software/installers/mentions of it?

As you probably know Knox is there, lurking from scratch in the Note 3 and was activated by new bootloaders on the SGS4, Note 2 and SGSIII. All these devices have the potential of the eFuse "blow" and associated Knox Flag trip 0x0 to 0x1. Unfortunately there is no way around that should you install a custom recovery after rooting (rooting in itself may or may not trip the flag, some methods do, some don't.) you will trip it and render it "Knox warranty void".

If your "deknoxing" by removing Knox software in something like Titanium Backup, and getting Super User to stop it interfering (how it would if its software has gone, I don't know, but I did it the opposite way around - used SU then removed Knox software).

So yep 'deknoxed' l have no trace of it except that pointless (I don't care) tripped Knox status in download mode.

Reactions: pw8549
Upvote 0
so.. blowing the efuse.. and tripping the Knox flag.
it only affects the warranty...right? nothing else changes?

if I don't care about warranty.. because I have a 3rd party warranty that I purchased.. and they do not care what I do to the device.

I can root
flash ROMs
flash kernels
right?

Upvote 0
Not necessarily - it depends on the insurer and on who gets the phone if you have to get it replaced. Most 3rd party warranties don't cover tampering (which includes rooting, ROMs, kernels, etc.)

thanks ...
but that was NOT what I was asking about.

efuse and Knox flag... other than warranty issues..
does it affect the phone in any way??

Upvote 0
thanks ...

If you use your note 3 for work and your work requires knox to operate on their network, you won't be able to use it.

That's the whole point of knox. Secure usage of phones on a business network.

Upvote 0
thanks ...

Essentially, no. One privately owned, non Knox using phone looks exactly the same thing as as one privately owned with the Knox flag tripped. The only thing it renders useless is the Knox application. A secure "phone within a phone" used for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) scenarios for employers to use.

That's about it.

Warranty wise if your in the UK (or the rest of the EU) it is legally a grey area. Certainly there are cases where Samsung have honored their warranty (two years in the EU - by law) on a rooted and Knox tripped phone, but on the whole if they do see a previously rooted phone needing repair they will refuse it under warranty. If you are going to root and install a custom recovery, mods etc. Assume your warranty is now null and void.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
If you use your note 3 for work and your work requires knox to operate on their network, you won't be able to use it.

That's the whole point of knox. Secure usage of phones on a business network.

good to know... but NOT what I asked.
and obviously.. work gave it to you.
you cant tamper a secure laptop you are given by work.
so you cant do that to a secure mobile device either.

Essentially, no. One privately owned, non Knox using phone looks exactly the same thing as as one privately owned with the Knox flag tripped. The only thing it renders useless is the Knox application. A secure "phone within a phone" used for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) scenarios for employers to use.

That's about it.

Warranty wise if your in the UK (or the rest of the EU) it is legally a grey area. Certainly there are cases where Samsung have honored their warranty (two years in the EU - by law) on a rooted and Knox tripped phone, but on the whole if they do see a previously rooted phone needing repair they will refuse it under warranty. If you are going to root and install a custom recovery, mods etc. Assume your warranty is now null and void.

thank you! for answering the question posed.
:)

Upvote 0
good to know... but NOT what I asked.
and obviously.. work gave it to you.
you cant tamper a secure laptop you are given by work.
so you cant do that to a secure mobile device either.

:)

I told you how it affects the phone other than warranty issues so yes it is what you asked. Maybe if you asked your question better you would get a better response.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones