• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Delete Alert messages from your phone

vgt

Apr 6, 2017
Hello,
I use the Coolpad 3300A, running Android 4.4.4.

I have collected, since Day One, every weather warning and every AMBER Alert ever issued to my phone with no apparent way to delete them, until I discovered how!

I do not want to disable the Alert system. Just get rid of expired messages.

This phone came with the Messaging app (green, square, smiling-face icon that displays a number in a small red ball if one or more messages are present). I had since disabled it and replaced it with Android Messages, a.k.a. Google Messages.

However, the alerts arrive and are displayed on the Messaging app if I choose to view them .

After being told the alerts may be baked-in, but don't take up much space, I discovered this:

Select the Alert massage to br deleted with a long-held tap in Messaging. A box will pop up, offering to delete. Tap "Delete" then tap again to confirm on the next pop-up. This Alert is gone. Repeat this step for every Alert you want to be rid of.

This procedure is similar to Android Messages' deleting an individual text from a conversation thread. The long-held tap highlights the text message and a trash can comes up. Tap that and it's gone..

My first effort to remove old alert messages was to disable (again) the Messaging app and delete its data in Settings > Apps. That left still a screenful of the most recent alerts.

If you want to clear your phone of outdated Alerts, but NOT disable the alert system, this tip may be for you!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones