• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help delete key causes auto-replace text and volume adjust

rexassian

Lurker
Jul 27, 2009
1.) Model Number : T-Mobile G1
2.) Firmware Version : 1.5
3.) Baseband Version : 62.502.20.17H_2.22.19.26I
4.) Kernel Version : 2.6.27-00393-g6607056
5.) Build Number : CRC1

in any text entry box, hitting del key on physical keyboard causes auto text to be inserted as well as call volumn to be adjusted. This doesn't happen on the on-screen keyboard. In addition, return key has a different auto text insertion and back key causes phone to jump to contacts and do a search on some random charactors.

Help, I have no clue what's going on. I checked the user dictionary to make sure there was nothing weird in there. Tried re-boot of course. I also deleted a few recently updated apps like compass and craigslist search. Nothing. I'm stuck. Web search isn't bringing anything relevant up. Thanks in advance.

Does this behavior come and go or is it all of the time?

I encountered something similar recently and the physical Del key was adjusting volume. The behavior has not reoccurred. I believe it was after installing a new program -- hesitate to mention because I'm not sure it was the cause. Also I am not currently rebooting my phone on a daily basis as I am now using the phone as my alarm clock complete with display at night.

I'm wondering if the behavior had something to do with my installation of Voice Text from the Market as it was while using that program that it happened.

Upvote 0
No, unfortunately, my issue is constant. I even found another key that adds more random text, 'p'. I too thought this was because of a recent app install or update. So I removed the last few apps I updated since I could remember acquiring this issue. Still not solved though. I guess I could keep going and remove more apps until the problem starts getting better....

It's sounding more and more like I need to do a backup and a clean sweep on the phone...:mad::(

Upvote 0
Restore to factory is pretty easy, Rexassian but hope you don't have to do that. I'm starting to wonder if there may be physical damage to your keyboard/phone... Do you have the insurance plan on it?

Factory data reset:

Menu > Settings > SD card & phone storage > Factory data reset

Upvote 0
Hmm, physical damage is possible. no insurance, but should be covered under warranty, no?

I've removed almost all apps, and still get the same behavior. I'll back up what I need tonight and remove the rest. I also need to figure out how to get paid apps back onto there after removal...

thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Perhaps will be covered by warranty -- let's hope. I don't know about HTC, but Motorola has a small water sensitive dot inside of the battery compartment. If it ever becomes wet, it changes color (from white to pink I believe) and warranty is off the table. Haven't noticed anything similar in the G1 unless it's the small black circle that says VOID in white letters.

I don't think you will have trouble reinstalling your paid apps. I think Google Checkout remembers which ones you have purchased and you should be able to reinstall without charge. Just be sure to use the same Google Checkout account. :) Good luck, rexassian.

Upvote 0
OK, so I did the factory reset over the weekend and initially, there was no difference, still had a gremlin in the physical keyboard. So I was going to start figuring out what I needed to do today. Magically/mysteriously/randomly/etc. the gremlin decided to leave. Crazy, I did nothing, literally. I left everything at default on the phone, installed no apps, didn't even connect to my home wifi. I only setup my yahoo account. Everything's working fine all of a sudden. NONE of the keys that were causing problems are acting up.

WTF happened? I'm not complaining, just trying to figure out in case the gremlin decides to move back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones