1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Delete Phone contacts

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by KevinLeep, Oct 15, 2018.

1. KevinLeep

KevinLeep Lurker

This question may have been answered in another thread. Unfortunately I was unable to find it. My phone downloaded my gmail contacts, because I foolishly told it to download them. Now I wish to remove them from the phone. How do I delete them from the phone, without affecting my Gmail contact list?

When I follow your directions the phone will have far fewer contacts. Yet, Gmail will have exactly the same number of contacts.

2. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

First of all what device are you using because all settings doesn't go across the board on all Android devices the same.

3. KevinLeep

KevinLeep Lurker

Sorry about not including this info in my original post. My phones model number is Z835. However, ZTE is printed on the back of the phone. Android 7.1.1 is the O.S. version.

4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Go into your Settings >> Accounts >> Google menu and disable syncing for the Contacts listing. The Contacts app on your phone should then clear itself of your contacts, leaving your online Google account as is. If it doesn't, double-check that Contacts is disabled in that Google services menu, and then go to Settings >> Apps, locate the Contacts app listing and open it. Now tap on 'Force stop', tap on 'Storage' to open it, and tap on 'Clear data'. This returns the Contacts app back to its first-time use state so when you now open Contacts it shouldn't show your online Google Contacts.