• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Delete Phone contacts

KevinLeep

Lurker
Oct 8, 2018
This question may have been answered in another thread. Unfortunately I was unable to find it. My phone downloaded my gmail contacts, because I foolishly told it to download them. Now I wish to remove them from the phone. How do I delete them from the phone, without affecting my Gmail contact list?

When I follow your directions the phone will have far fewer contacts. Yet, Gmail will have exactly the same number of contacts.

Go into your Settings >> Accounts >> Google menu and disable syncing for the Contacts listing. The Contacts app on your phone should then clear itself of your contacts, leaving your online Google account as is. If it doesn't, double-check that Contacts is disabled in that Google services menu, and then go to Settings >> Apps, locate the Contacts app listing and open it. Now tap on 'Force stop', tap on 'Storage' to open it, and tap on 'Clear data'. This returns the Contacts app back to its first-time use state so when you now open Contacts it shouldn't show your online Google Contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones