• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Delete Widgets

Most widgets are associated with an app. When you install an app, the widgets associate with the app will appear in the list of screen objects you can put on your home screen.

There are some apps that are widgets only. For instance, Android Pro Widgets are a collection of widgets. The set of widgets include a calendar widget and a Twitter widget. These widgets are not associated with the various apps, but just accesses them to show information on your home screen. The Android Pro calendar widget can be set up to access your calendar app so it can show your appointments on the widget. If you delete the Android Pro Widgets app, only those widgets will be removed. Your calendar app will still be there as well as your Twitter app.

If you don't use widgets, the existence of widgets on your phone should not really interfere with the operation of your phone.

Reactions: scrubby
Upvote 0
If you don't use widgets, the existence of widgets on your phone should not really interfere with the operation of your phone.
It does if you don't have an expensive phone and have limited space. It might not be much, but all the apps I have that have widgets that I don't use could be another app or 2 that I could possibly install on my inexpensive prepaid Android phone and my inexpensive tablet both with limited storage space.

Upvote 0
Well if you don't use the app you can uninstall it to free space (system apps live in a different partition, so while you can't uninstall them without root you don't gain space by doing so either).

But if you use the app but not its widget, just ignore the widget or find an alternative app. The widget is part of the app, not an add-on.

Upvote 0
It does if you don't have an expensive phone and have limited space. It might not be much, but all the apps I have that have widgets that I don't use could be another app or 2 that I could possibly install on my inexpensive prepaid Android phone and my inexpensive tablet both with limited storage space.

Unless the app developer has a widgetless version of the app, there really is nothing you can do. I'm not sure how much additional space widgets on any particular app would take up and how much you would save if they offered a widgetless version. The only thing you can really do is uninstall apps that are widgets only, but then if you don't use widgets, you wouldn't have installed them in the first place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones