• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleted Android Messenger

mummymo

Lurker
Oct 8, 2011
Hi all, I had Chomp SMS on my phone but because I was receiving the SMS notifications three times I deleted the standard Android Messenger. Now I can't receive texts. My Orange San Fran is now "giffgaffed". I have tried restoring the factory settings but still can't get the Android Messenger App back. I've checked but I can't download it from the Market. I'm on the verge of tears with this so would be grateful for any help. I'm a real novice with this so if you can help simple terms would be great!
Thanks so much

Thread moved to the All Things Root section.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, unfortunately a lot of people do this. The way android handles replacement SMS apps is a little weird - even if you install a third party sms app, the stock android one is still doing all the work behind the scenes.

The good news is that this can be fixed relatively easily.

Your options are to either a) get somebody with the same phone to send you a copy of the messenger app (in the form of a .apk file) and put that in the same place as the one you removed, or b) reinstall your firmware. It's not enough to factory reset, as you've found, because all that does it wipe user data, rather than literally restoring the firmware as it was out of the factory.

Once you get it fixed, you need to open the built in android SMS app and hit Menu >> Settings and disable notifications. That will fix your original problem :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones