1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Deleted sys apps causing OTA fail?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sdot_sd, Dec 11, 2010.

1. sdot_sd

sdot_sd Newbie

I found this guide for re-assigning system status to re-installed bloatware that you may have deleted. I was having issues getting OTA to install, and had removed bloatware (NFS, CityID, VZW NAv, etc.) using Titanium Backup (as opposed to freezing-lesson learned) and I was struggling to piece together information from the different threads I had been reading. This worked perfectly! Also, after downloading the update, and choosing to install, click the search button while phone is rebooting and installing. This will list errors, if any are present, and can help determine what is missing and/or causing the fail. Feel free to move this thread to more appropriate place if needed.

[How-To] Reinstall Bloatware with 'System Application' Properties - Android Forums

maple, eldealero and Nightwind Hawk like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Nightwind Hawk

Nightwind Hawk Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing.. I made the same mistake you did (uninstalled instead of freezed) and wasn't sure how I was going to upgrade to the new OTA!

3. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

Thanks for posting this, i was in the same boat as both of you.

I am in the process of doing the installs of the apps, i got some of them to install no problem at all...but i am having troubles installing some others (music, weather widget,news widget, and blur e-mail) the others went just fine, i am following the same procedures. tried DL-ing them from my phone directly, from the computer all with the same results. hoping a different browser fixes it. i really dont want to SBF especially since i only have a Windows7 64bit system available to me.

4. Tumeg

Tumeg Android Enthusiast

I followed this process to reinstall Blockbuster (the only app I uninstalled, before I read that freezing an app was safer, easier, and technically had the same effect) - and it all worked fine.
    I then proceeded to unfreeze everything, and that went fine. So I unrooted my phone (I know you don't have to for this update, but I did it just to be safe) and tried the update. It still failed.

5. eldealero

eldealero Newbie

All of the .apk files that had a .odex with them would not install. The ones that didn't installed fine. Any ideas?

6. sund0wn

sund0wn Android Expert

if you do have to sbf, fear not. a lot of us here have experienced every possible issue. i also have 7 x64, and i had some of the most bizarre issues, with even more bizarre resolutions. so, if you need help, please PM me, and i'll even get on IM if you need.

7. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

Thanks, these forums are great. but i actually got my hands on a Win XP machine. this thing sucks compared to the new computer...lol.

will for sure ask for help if i run into it tho.

8. eldealero

eldealero Newbie

Nevermind, I figured it out. You don't have to install the ones with .odex files.
    Also great tip about the search button for showing errors, makes it much easier. Finally got it sorted out after working on it all day.

Thanks for figuring this out, I didn't want to flash the sbf to get the update and figured there was a way to get the few bloat files I deleted back. Glad you figured it out for us.

Nightwind Hawk likes this.
  9. nycebo

nycebo Android Enthusiast

Hail SBF, that's for sure. We've all been there. Meanwhile, I just rename the APKs to BAKs to that it's easy to reverse them before system updates. FWIW...

10. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

i also SBF'd. made a nandroid backup of the stock 2.3.340 with all the system apps, and then FROZE the apps with i upgraded to APEX. hopefully this will keep me from having to SBF again...took forever.

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Thread moved to the X Tips and Tricks sub-forum. ;)

12. 6_Myles

6_Myles Lurker

I'm having difficulty with the FMRadio.apk not installing. Any ideas?

edit: Disregard, update installed successfully w/o FM Radio installed.:thinking::thinking:

13. Nightwind Hawk

The one's with odex don't have to be installed, just have to be there :)

14. apavolka

apavolka Android Enthusiast

Can this be turned into a sticky for those that mat not know that deleted sys apps could make an OTA fail?

15. Nightwind Hawk

We should create a thread on all the common issues of upgrading...

Note to everyone: If it's failing, you can also press the Search button and it will show the details/error message (press search when it's upgrading)

That way you can tell what file is a problem!

16. greycobalt

greycobalt Newbie

Got my Droid X 2 weeks ago, and rooted it almost immediately to get rid of the bloatware because I hated having all that Verizon crap on there. Thought the Titanium Backup would help me, but I didn't know it doesn't actually back up the programs. Lesson learned!

Anyhow, I couldn't install this latest update, so I've been trying to put all the old apps back on, and I've succeeded mostly. However, I can't for the life of me get CarDock back on there. And CarDock is where the update says it is finding an error. I've done everything correctly (at least in the same way that brought back all the old ones), and it's nowhere to be found except in the system files. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Also, when I originally started removing apps, I couldn't get rid of the Blockbuster one, no matter how hard I tried. Any ideas there either? :( It was the only one I couldn't get rid of.

So all that being said, in the future, are there any better ideas on how to get rid of bloatware that won't be a pain in the butt next time there's an update? I heard freezing them in Titanium Backup works well, is this true?

And one last noob question...how beneficial is it to install all the ROMs and whatnot that people are going around with? I would love to have my phone pimped out, but I'm not a system file techie so much. I love me some sleekness. Thanks for all your help!

My error message:

assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/CarDock.apk", "c9cc1be95af5d4152775a3df6848c35f8d1396c7",
    "c3351e5dcea8dd312218d5a137f31406d7980c03")
    E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.2.3.151.MB810.Verizon.en.US.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

17. Nightwind Hawk

Yeah, greycobalt - you can FREEZE them using Titnanium Backup. This will act as removing them, except you can just "unfreeze" them whenever you need to.

18. Napalm

Napalm Android Expert

I can't seem to sbf simply because RSDLite doesn't recognize my device. never finds it. Updated drivers, etc. Does RSDLite only work if the phone is off or in boot recovery mode?

I have never tried it before last night, never needed to. (knocks on oak)

19. northwst

northwst Newbie

Build.prop was my failure....

I forgot I modified it to try and get a different boot up ogg file to play but I forgot to change it back.... just copy and paste the unmodified one to your system/build.prop file

20. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Android Enthusiast

I never delete those anyway... rename to .old or something from .apk. Then it's uber easy to undo it if needed.

21. Lars

Lars Android Expert

Could someone enlighten me? What is this latest OTA? I'm running the leaked 2.2 so I no longer get OTA's. If it's good, I might sbf and try it.

22. bsdmom44

bsdmom44 Member

I had this same problem and finally used a friend's computer (Win 7 x32 even though mine are the same set up). Come to find out, it wasn't the computer. It was the micro USB cable. I had a Rockfish one and it was AWFUL. I will never buy another one of those again.

Try getting your hands on a good micro USB cable. When I did (the one that comes with the dock charger works just fine), everything flashed perfectly.

Again, do NOT buy those crappy Rockfish universal macro/micro cables!!!

23. RDM

RDM Newbie

If you just install "928 back to stock odexed", it will fix all your problems!!!

24. Napalm

Napalm Android Expert

Does that fix the issue if you rooted AND deleted the APK files. I tried that first, no luck. Then I used this list and restored any ODEX and APK file that was missing (I deleted quite a few). Once my on phone list matched this one, re-booted and tried again.

Still no joy.

Had to SBF. I hope it works for some, but this kind of stuff is why the SBF is so nice to have.

25. deme

deme Newbie

quick questuion... I have the original leaked 2.2 and had deleted some apk's would flashing with the original 2.1 SBF just be easier?
    I should have froze them but lesson learned on that.
    Also will i lose any files on my sd card doing this?

Thanks a bunch

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews