• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleting Application In Recovery?

Is that possible, either connected or not with usb?
There is an app which I downloaded that is causeing my phone to show a blank screen (app for changing fonts). I need to get rid of it. Where are apps located and stored? I have root access.
System apps are in the /system/app directory and are usually included with the ROM and not installed by the user (unless they are pushed there manually). User apps installed from the Play Store or "sideloaded" as .apk files are in the /data/app directory.

The easiest way to access them from recovery is to use a custom recovery like TWRP2 (touch) that has a file manager built-in, or "install" the Aroma File Manager which works with any recovery.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
This phone is fast becoming nusance to me, and I'm about at the end of my wits with it. I really should have left well enough alone. I wasn't having the signal problems. I just wanted to be able to overclock and get rid of bloatware. Now, I'm in a hole.
I got the Aroma File Manager uninstalled finally, but I am still at a blank screen after it reboots. I did do another wipe and was about to just redo everything (for the 2nd time today). I got as far as installing the Hboot, but because I can't get past the stuck blank screen, when I go to the bootloader, it just keeps asking to install the Hboot file, so I can't get it to go into recovery. I can't even get to the Aroma file manager to get the Hboot file out.

Upvote 0
This phone is fast becoming nusance to me, and I'm about at the end of my wits with it. I really should have left well enough alone. I wasn't having the signal problems. I just wanted to be able to overclock and get rid of bloatware. Now, I'm in a hole.
I got the Aroma File Manager uninstalled finally, but I am still at a blank screen after it reboots. I did do another wipe and was about to just redo everything (for the 2nd time today). I got as far as installing the Hboot, but because I can't get past the stuck blank screen, when I go to the bootloader, it just keeps asking to install the Hboot file, so I can't get it to go into recovery. I can't even get to the Aroma file manager to get the Hboot file out.

Why not buy a cheap $2 SD card reader and remove the PG86IMG.zip file from your PC? Seems a lot easier than letting this phone get to you. I have had this phone since the day it came out and have had very few problems. One question, you are S-off, right? If not, you can't change your hboot anyways. Also, if using a sense based ROM, try ##3282# and clear your settings, reboot and let it update for you.

Upvote 0
Why not buy a cheap $2 SD card reader and remove the PG86IMG.zip file from your PC? Seems a lot easier than letting this phone get to you. I have had this phone since the day it came out and have had very few problems. One question, you are S-off, right? If not, you can't change your hboot anyways. Also, if using a sense based ROM, try ##3282# and clear your settings, reboot and let it update for you.

Because at that particular time of night, Radio Shack was closed.
Because it's winter here in Michigan and I wasn't too fond of going out using $2 worth of gas to spend $2.
Mostly, because 99% of the people here saw I was venting and let it go as that.
Thanks just the same. I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones