• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleting Apps with root explorer

cmotion

Jan 24, 2010
I'm using KaosFroyo v.32 and wanted to delete some included apps I don't use. I tried deleting the Twitter app using root explorer. I went into system>app, switched to Mount to R/W and deleted Twitter.apk--- however, when I go into manage applications, it's still listed there. Did I do something wrong?

I'm using KaosFroyo v.32 and wanted to delete some included apps I don't use. I tried deleting the Twitter app using root explorer. I went into system>app, switched to Mount to R/W and deleted Twitter.apk--- however, when I go into manage applications, it's still listed there. Did I do something wrong?

cmotion,

Some folks over on the Droid X forum were discussing something similar: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/166120-blockbuster-app-refuses-leave.html, so that might help you out.

Also, there are some that are using Root Explorer to "freeze" their apps instead of deleting them...I believe that this is simply turning the execute bit off of the file. This does not delete them, but keeps them in-place (they force-close when you try to launch them). Seems to be a little safe than nuking system apps and getting unintended consequences. Scan through the Droid X root threads for "freeze" for more information (I have not personally done this myself).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Thanks Scary,

So I read through that linked thread, and cleared out the data from the app, then uninstalled updates, it said "Uninstall not successful", I clicked OK, and then the app was gone! I'm guessing because I deleted the .apk, that when it looked for the previous version, it realized it wasn't there anymore? I dunno, thanks for the info though. Is there a list somewhere of apps one should not delete. For example, I never use the stock Messenger app, but I don't know if that is the one that is used to then forward to Handcent, or anything like that. Also, if I'm a Launcher Pro guy and I'm on Kaos Froyo (which originally had ADW Launcher, with the News and Weather Widget), would it be OK to delete ADW and the widget? Guess I could always Nand backup, then try it. These things aren't even really necessary to do, it's not like I'm low on space or my phone is lagging at all, but I did just purchase Root Explorer and so I'm trying to do things I was unable to do before. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks Scary,

So I read through that linked thread, and cleared out the data from the app, then uninstalled updates, it said "Uninstall not successful", I clicked OK, and then the app was gone! I'm guessing because I deleted the .apk, that when it looked for the previous version, it realized it wasn't there anymore? I dunno, thanks for the info though. Is there a list somewhere of apps one should not delete. For example, I never use the stock Messenger app, but I don't know if that is the one that is used to then forward to Handcent, or anything like that. Also, if I'm a Launcher Pro guy and I'm on Kaos Froyo (which originally had ADW Launcher, with the News and Weather Widget), would it be OK to delete ADW and the widget? Guess I could always Nand backup, then try it. These things aren't even really necessary to do, it's not like I'm low on space or my phone is lagging at all, but I did just purchase Root Explorer and so I'm trying to do things I was unable to do before. ;)

Here's the "grand-daddy" of the "safe-to-delete" threads (there are more out there :)): http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/53646-unwanted-apps.html

Be careful with the stock messaging app and its files...not exactly sure about the files you mentioned. But you did hit on the right idea: always do a Nand backup before nuking files like this...(better safe than sorry, right? :eek: :D ;)).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
When I use KaosFroyo I delete ADW, and it doesn't seem to cause any harm.
Also, I use Titanium Backup to delete unwanted programs, it's much easier than using Root Explorer. Where TB shows you a list of programs, tap the program you'd like to have gone, then press the 'delete' key. WAY easier than hunting it down through the directories.

Upvote 0

Have you rebooted since your deletions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones