1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Deleting emails en mass...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by spark802, Feb 2, 2014.

1. spark802

spark802 Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2013
    Male
    Canada
    Ok I have looked first thru older posts and checked the FAQS. I want to delete all my emails, preferably not one at a time. Is there any way I can select all emails and then delete/trash?

I have a Sony Xperia ZL

Advertisement

2. jungleexplorer

jungleexplorer Android Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2011
    Male
    Life Counselor
    Texas
    [FONT=&quot]This would depend on the email app you are using and how it is setup. I also like to keep a clean inbox and delete all my emails from my phone inbox everyday. I use Thunderbird on my PC download and store any email I want to keep permanently.

The problem with most android apps is that they are going to try to set you up with an IMAP type inbox service. With an IMAP protocol style inbox, you are basically manipulating your online web mail inbox through an app. So, if you delete an email on your phone, it will also be deleted from your webmail inbox as well. Because of this, most apps want you to choose each email to delete individually, because if you delete all your emails off your phone, you have also emptied out your online inbox as well, and there is no way to get your emails back if you decide you deleted one that you wanted to keep.

The way to solve this is through the use of the POP3 email protocol. Some apps will allow you to set up email accounts using the POP3 protocol. The POP3 protocol allows you to actually download the emails from your online webmail account to your phone where they are no longer tied to your online account. You can then delete them from your phone without effecting your online account. To save data, you can set the app to download only 5kb of each email to start (The header), and it will only download the rest of the email when you decide to open it.

For non-Gmail accounts, you can use the "Email" app that comes standard with most android phones. The Gmail app that comes on most android phone forces you to use the IMAP protocol and will not allow you to set up a gmail account using the POP3 protocol (at least I have never been able to get it to do it). Also the gmail app only allows single email deletion. I recommended the Aqualmail app for use with your Gmail accounts. The free version of Aquamail will allow you to set up 2 email accounts for free.

The "EMAIL" app will allow you to select all email you receive in a single day for deletion at one time. So if you receive 50 email in one day, you can click the header for that day to select all 50 emails for deletion. Aquamail allows you to select all the emails visible on the screen (6 or 7) for deletion at one time. The K9 email app does allow you to delete all emails in your inbox at one time, but it only allows you to set up one email account for free and it is not nearly as easy to set up and cleanly designed as aquamail.

It is important to remember that you must select "Manual Setup" during the account creation process to set up accounts with the POP3 protocol, because all email apps are programmed to use the IMAP protocol by default.[/FONT]

spark802 likes this.
  3. spark802

spark802 Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2013
    Male
    Canada
    Thank you junglexplorer that's lots of info that I can work with.

4. Rita Hodgkinson

None

Feb 8, 2017
    Female
    ALSO - to delete your already deleted emails in "trash" do the same but if you click on the down arrow up the top it will say "mark all" and you can delete all in one hit. I didn't even realise they were all stored in the phone! I thought once deleted they were deleted.