• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Deleting old roms??

DaveM1

Aug 11, 2010
Are you supposed to delete the roms from the sd card after you flash new ones to keep space on the sd card or does it matter? I have tried about 3 different roms and currently running vanilla 2.0, but want to try Black Rain. Should i just delete my "old" roms from my sd card if i already have nand back ups of my other roms?

I also delete mine after a while, just to make it easier in Recovery to get them back.

I have an "Eris root files" folder on Dropbox with copies of the ROMs I am testing/running, so it's pretty easy if I ever need to get them back - download with Dropbox, use Astro to move the files to the root directory of my SD card, and I am ready to restart in recovery and flash the ROM.

Upvote 0
You know, I have read lots of threads on roms flashing and the such. This is one of the questions I have had. If I understand this right, I can keep different roms on my sdcard in the form of a nand, the nand keeps all the important stuff to run the phone right.

Can I just delete the zip files while hooked up to the computer? Or do I have to use root explorer?

Upvote 0
You know, I have read lots of threads on roms flashing and the such. This is one of the questions I have had. If I understand this right, I can keep different roms on my sdcard in the form of a nand, the nand keeps all the important stuff to run the phone right.

Can I just delete the zip files while hooked up to the computer? Or do I have to use root explorer?

You can delete whatever you want on the /sdcard using whatever tool you like (Astro File Manager, Estrongs File Explorer, Root Explorer, adb shell, etc.).

The /sdcard is wide-open.

Now, you do need to use good judgement about which Nandroid backups to keep, delete, etc. :D

Upvote 0
Also can I just move the nand file to my computer just in case my sdcard gets damaged?
Thats what happened to me today, had to start all over even though I had a nand backup. I couldn't get the backup on my pc so I was sol.

Here is another one for you guys, do I need to keep all my files like pictures and music and stuff on my sdcard or just put the nand back on the card.

Upvote 0
Here is another one for you guys, do I need to keep all my files like pictures and music and stuff on my sdcard or just put the nand back on the card.

Yes to this - I think that you have no choice but to have photos taken with the camera and music files that you wish to play stored on the SD card. I suppose that if you have copied photos from your phone to somewhere else - your PC, Picasa, Flickr, wherever - you can then delete them from the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones