1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Deleting pre-installed apps on a rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jon_LTD, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    Hi Guys

I've been rather quiet these last few weeks, but today I've come to ask a simple question which will most likely answered with ease.

I've rooted my missus's phone as it's been playing up lately (HTC Wildfire) and installed a generic stable Sense ROM with high reviews. I would like to be able to remove some pre-installed apps that came on the ROM as it's just as cluttered with redundant apps. I just cannot be bothered to open the zip and remove all the apk files and re-flash it and set it all up again.
    It's S-Off so I was under the impression I could use a File Explorer (currently using Astro) and just simply delete it from the app folder on the system. When I locate the file, and long hold and select Delete, it just gives me some generic error message and mocks me :(.

You may throw me over to the HTC Wildfire forum, however it's rather quiet down that neck of the woods - and I actually remember this happening with me when I was on Redux (but I just shrugged it off). As I'm on the rather clutter-free dGB it hasn't crossed my mind since.

Cheers guys

J

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Suggestions:

1) Try a different file explorer. ES File Explorer (free) or Root Explorer can both do this.

2) Try uninstalling the app using Ti Backup.

Either should work. If you want to reclaim some space afterwards, Ti can clean up the dalvik cache (which is quicker than wiping dalvik completely and rebooting). Or at least Ti Pro can - it's been so long since I had the free version that I don't know what features that lacks.

Edit: If you remove the apks from the zip you should be able to just flash it over without a wipe, so there shouldn't be any setting up needed. Try that if nothing else works, but being S-Off you should be able to just delete the apps.

Jon_LTD likes this.
  3. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    Tried several explorers, each gives me a generic "This cannot be deleted" message. Bummer =\

As for Titanium, I was a little perplexed when it started banging on about rebooting my phone twice to complete this and thanking someone for discovering the exploit. Is this the right option? I didn't go through with it as it seems a bit of a change from "simply delete the apk with an explorer and it should do it". :thinking:

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    No, I really mean just touch the app in Ti's app list and select "uninstall". If the phone is S-Off that should work. I reckon you must have been reading about some hack to do this on S-On phones (the "bloatware melter" maybe - I've never used that).

But first, one simple thing to check: is the /system area mounted r/w when you try to remove them with a file explorer? It won't be by default. I normally use Root Explorer, which shows you clearly and has a button to mount/unmount the partition, but ES File Explorer has a "mount file system" option at the bottom of the settings list, which you will need to tick before you can remove a system file. You need the option above that to enable the root features too.

Jon_LTD likes this.
  5. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Root explorer is well worth the money imho

6. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    I second that, Support the developer for a really good product :)

7. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Leeds, UK

Where did you find a generic rooted stock ROM?
    My misses wildfire is always playing up, can't remember the rom she's on but I know she's considering having me use an RUU.

8. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    Morning Ty,

I used the SUnAaBh Rom found here on XDA. I was drawn to it as it's commended on it's stability andvery similar to the Stock Sense so it would be familiar. So far, it's been faultless. No crashing or dodgey behaviour. It's just full of the useless apps which I don't think anybody really uses (Friendstream, Footsteps, Teeter, Peep, Stocks etc.) so I ridded them manually to free up some space. Also the option to use apps2SD.. But I didn't look too deep into that as there is only ~200mb free on her SD card and no room for a partition. Perhaps you could be by guinea pig on this? :D

9. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    This option has worked, cheers Hadron.

I guess I was a little put-out and discouraged when I couldn't delete the apps via a File Explorer. Still not sure why. I'll just use the Titanium Method as it does the job fine.

Cheers bud.

10. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Leeds, UK

Thank you very much, will let her know about this.

11. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk

Scrap that, Ty. I flashed CyanogenMod 6.x and using Go Launcher. Infinitely better.

12. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Leeds, UK

If it was up to me, id use an AOSP ROM but she likes sense.
    Her current rom seems to be holding up for now, though I will keep the one you posted bookmarked just incase.

13. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    It was good enough but she wanted to use Go Launcher aswell. Not much point in it being sense based. But yeah, the one I initially mentioned was not bad at all.

14. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    hi Jon,

yeah +1 - Go much better than sense :)

Tags: