• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Deleting Unwanted Android Apps

Two apps have shown up on my main screen. I didn't add them, and I cannot delete them or move them to where all the apps are.
They are "CNN", and "Amazon MP3".
How do I get rid of them?

The Android operating system includes applications that are install as system apps for which the only way to delete is to "root," giving yourself "superuser" access to commands, files and directories that can open an casual user to many problems and headaches. If your only concern is having the icons in your app drawer, my recommendation is to just ignore them (yup, I was also pissed off at having applications I never used or asked for). Some home replacement like PandaHome allow you to hide the icons of those apps, but the app itself will remain on your phone.

ADB is the "Android Debug Bridge," a way to access your phone from another device (like your PC) that allows you to perform operations on your phone (install, delete, copy, and much more). For what you want it is overkill. If you are otherwise happy with your phone, keep it as is as rooting is not for the casual user. It gives you "super access" to things that for most are better off untouched. If you are curious about Rooting and ADB, check out (pick out your device):
All Things Root - Android Forums

Hope this helped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones