1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Deletion of photos

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by marinny, Dec 20, 2014.

1. marinny

marinny Member
    None

Sep 28, 2014
    If I take pictures and videos and they appear in both the phone's storage and also in the SD card, will deleting them from one location delete them from the other?
    I made the default location of videos the SD card, which I like.
    I just took holiday photos and am thinking because they appear in both places, they are taking up unnecessary room.
    I am reluctant to remove them from one place as I would like to have them in only one place but do not want to delete them everywhere.
    I hope I have explained myself - simply to remove duplicates but not delete all.

Advertisement

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    They should only be deleted from the one place you deleted them from. Easy way to test, is take a a test photo and make sure you have a copy in both locations, then simply delete the one from your device and leave the one on the SD card and check and see if it is still there ;). You can also have all pictures and video sync to your cloud storage for safe keeping and deleting those as your leisure.

3. marinny

marinny Member
    None

Sep 28, 2014
    That is a very good idea and thank you.
    Do I synch to Google, the Verizon Cloud or another?
    Every time I attempt to use a Verizon app and read the fine print, I find there is a charge

4. DonB

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    That is your preference, but I prefer Google as I sync to my Google Drive, they give you 15 GB's free, this way if you ever delete from your device you're covered ;)

5. marinny

marinny Member
    None

Sep 28, 2014
    I was looking at settings and found where Backup and Restore says it backs up "app data, WI-FI passwords and other settings", to Google servers.
    Beneath is an automatic restore.

It does not cite photos specifically. If we are unsure I would use another back up like you.
    Do you or anyone know if this backs up photos?

Also, if I may ask a 2nd question, how do you backup photos from gallery to Drive?

6. DonB

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    No it's not for Photos

7. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I highly suggest that you avoid Verizon Cloud like the plague.
    That darn thing, if you install the desktop app to "manage it" will start backing up your entire PC to the Cloud and then real quick now, it will bark at you saying you need to "Upgrade your Cloud Service" because it is full.

I only connected to the Cloud to get the Contacts List onto my Wife's new S5 which I was activating yesterday. As a part of that, the phone would not allow me to progress any further unless I accepted the Cloud. So I did, and then it wanted me to install the Desktop Manager.... okay, let me see what it does. Their website is a PITA and a desktop manager might be faster.

Well, I got it installed, all looked great. I thought "this might be nice" and went to bed.
    Woke up this morning with a message in my email saying Cloud is full, please upgrade.
    I then opened the Desktop Cloud manager app and looked to see what is going on.
    Imagine my surprise when I recognize 1,000s of files that were only residing on my desktop PC!!!

Holy Smoley Sherlock, this ain't no good. I deleted that mess real fast, and then it said "working......" and never came back to me.

so, I went to the VZW website and disabled The Cloud from there, and it barked saying I had a lot of files there, "Delete anyway"?? damn right again Sherlock, and I did..... back to a $0.00 charge for the Cloud's Contact Backup Assistant again like I always had for 20 years.

CAVEAT EMPTOR on vendor freebies. They ain't free.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted 4.4.4
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

8. AndroidProf

AndroidProf Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2014
    I am curious, iyou remove the SD card, are the images still viewable on your device?

9. marinny

marinny Member
    None

Sep 28, 2014
    If this message about the card is for me, I have never tried to move too much for fear of doing damage.

I am still unsure of how to back up my gallery photos to they will be secure. Google drive may have been the closest suggestion but I have trouble with Drive and am never sure if I am the only one who can se the content.
    I think I will transfer them to my pc where I can back up to my external drives or other media.
    Not sure how to get them to my pc but I will work on it.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.