1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Demand for nexus 4 10x is what Google expected.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Skyroket, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Skyroket

Skyroket Android Enthusiast
    None

May 25, 2012
    Hmm that's pretty interesting 10 times more than what they expected.. So in other terms even if they had unlimited supply they would have sold 4 million N4s over a month. That makes Google competing with itself. ( Google can actually outsell other Android phone makers Motorola, Htc and so on)

Now what makes n4 so popular price or pure android? Or both of them? What makes you wanna buy it?

What if all android phones came with pure android? No more manufacturers skins just build and flash. Need customization visit play store.

Advertisement

2. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    IN, USA
  3. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    Did they really "messed up?"

Just imagine this: Google sells only 400,000 units on the first three months of this high quality/low price smartphone. Non-N4 owners get jelous of N4 owners and start de find any way to get the phone. After a few months, Google/LG finally manage to manufacture a huge amount of units for the N4 and all the people that has been waiting for it can finally get one. Can you imagine the sales in that first week of "relaunch"?

Yeah, it might sound stupid and it might not be the case, maybe Google did messed up. But nobody has ever used this "merchandising strategy" and it doesn't sound crazy at all.

malcster likes this.
  4. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 25, 2012
    Whether they admit it or not LG has everything to lose if this thing gets botched.

They are already losing reputation in this whole fiasco but soon people will start to think they are incompetent as an OEM as well.

This phone may not make them a lot of money but if they can show they can handle this they stand to gain credibility and people will start looking at them as something other than that other company in South Korea.

(For proof of this idea look at what the Nexus 7 has done for Asus' reputation as a premium OEM)

5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    While I agree that the Nexus 7's quality has really boosted Asus's reputation, people seem to forget that there were mild supply issues in the beginning, but no where near this level. They had pre-orders for it and that helped immensely imo. This and the nexus 10 launch had no pre-orders and while Samsung had issues early on as well. This whole hang a piece of meat above a pack of hungry dogs method of selling device by Google utterly failed the consumers.

6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    For me it was the software mainly. The hardware is incredible though. I would have paid $700 for this phone and never doubted that it was worth it. It is easily the best phone available.

Throw the incredible price on top of that and it is easy to see why the demand is so high. Hopefully Google will have things figured out by the next one, this is only the second time that they have launched a phone selling it themselves (and the Nexus One didn't exactly do as well).

7. NeXuS4

None

Nov 25, 2012
    I know that Google is probably more to blame them LG but LG still has the most to lose.

Also in regards to Asus I wasn't really commenting on the quality of the Nexus 7 so much as the ability of the OEM to meet demand.

8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Fair enough. After the initial launch of the device, they were somewhat scarce on the play store but brick & mortar stores had plenty of supply to help offset it. I agree that LG has the most to lose because they were already a fringe OEM and this was their chance to show off what they could do. I hope things go better next time because that's probably when I'll be in the market because my Verizon contract will be over.

9. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Yea I gave up and traded my Note 2 for a N4...sold out forever this was way botched here....I wish HTC would make a Nexus though they have good build quality usually.

10. NeXuS4

None

Nov 25, 2012
    What needs to happen is the dismantling of the Verizon/AT&T duopoly. These are two companies that have stood in the face of innovation for far too long. Antiquated relics that have far outlived their usefulness to our market, the Nexus 4 is the key that will make even the typically stupid American consumer realize that they have been taken for a ride at the expense of various things such as a competitive market and net neutrality to name a few.

This is why I'm pushing so hard for T-Mobile and the Nexus 4 to succeed. As usual Google's planning is masterful and the only thing standing in the way of this paradigm shift might be LG's incompetence.

11. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    They did make a nexus but it wasn't successful. But I agree with you as that was before android became really popular. I say the next nexus will be htc or Motorola

12. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2012
    Let's not forget that even though "supply" was/is a problem, a HUGE part of the initial launch was the Google Play Store's inability to handle the volume of orders that were being placed. I managed to get one after about 11 attempts (25 minutes worth) with cart unexpectedly being emptied, transactions submitted but encountering completion errors, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

13. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    I'm guessing that one reason Google's sales expectations were so low is that last time they tried to launch a phone (the original Nexus) independent of the networks with their network subsidies, the experiment was pretty much a total failure and they quickly had to switch to a more traditional sales model.

Arguably, one reason the original Nexus launch was a failure is that the phone was priced like any other unlocked, premium phone and most of us aren't prepared / can't afford to pay that much up front - hence the whole network subsidy sales model.

Google addressed the price problem this time around but they clearly didn't anticpate just how successful that change would be.

Unfortunately, this will mean Google is going to miss out on a lot of potential sales as people are generally not patient enough to wait months for a new phone once they hit that upgrade date.

We just have to hope that next time, they maintain the price and increase production to match demand rather than hike the price to reduce demand to match production.

14. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

Thing is a lot of people can get the Nexus 4 and not need an "upgrade." So the fact that they hit their upgrade date isn't relevant.

Tags: