• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root deodexed vs odexed

crutoi

Apr 9, 2010
Hi,

i did a bit of reading and still trying to find all the differences between deodexed roms vs regular roms

so far this is what i have found, if some one can add to this please do

Pros:
enables for more UI customizations(themes, fonts, title bar icons, like battery icons)

Cons:
slower to boot

this is the explanation of deodexed that i found:

"Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything. "

Ok, I have some more noob questions:

1) If de-odexing gets too buggy, can I RE-odex?

2) What is the most straight-forward way for someone to deodex? Droid X has a snappy java utility but I haven't found anything this simple for the DInc.

Thanks a lot :)
You personally won't be doing any of it, unless you plan on developing.

This basically refers to whether the ROM you are installing is odexed or deodexed. I haven't had trouble with either type so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones