1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Desire 2.2 OTA Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wellibob, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Android Enthusiast

Just checked mine and no update available:mad:

Didn't check yesterday as I only saw this thread this morning.

Unbranded btw.

Advertisement

2. bunnisher

bunnisher Member

After reading the O2 website forum, it appeared to me too that maybe it was the update to 2.2 for O2 branded phones that was pulled. Then the coffee kicked in and my brain started working a bit more and I realised that my update should be coming from HTC and not O2 since I'm stock unbranded and already running 2.2.

Regardless, same result. The update was available for me last night but today is gone. I've checked the HTC site and it announces the update for 2.2 but there is no download option or notice to say if it has been suspended by HTC too.

Confused.

3. jay_kay

jay_kay Android Enthusiast

From what I have read its people that did not put their goldcard in when doing the update?

Do you know of people who were unbranded anyway having the wifi issue?

4. Kenty1981

Kenty1981 Newbie

Thanks for the advise, i have tried this with and without the gold card in and neither option presents me with an update - From reading the rest of the post on this thread it seems that the update has been pulled?? Will keep an eye out and post if i do get the OTA.

if not ill just download the 2.10 RUU file and sort it that way.

5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

peoples wifi is borked for not having the gold card in when updating

they could have pulled the update for other reasons though. this has no relation to o2's issues for pulling their update

6. Mark One

Mark One Member

So noob rootmonkies screwing update got it pulled for the rest of us ;)

If so impressed that HTC basically supporting rooters - Apple would have laughed as they borked.

7. wellibob

wellibob Well-Known Member

Ok, got in touch with a friend who had a unbranded desire, who was able to get the 2.2 froyo update on release by htc, and i told him about the update yesterday, which he did ota yesterday afternoon, and everythink went fine on his handset (with 3). Wifi works, no reported problems.

8. albert_htc

albert_htc Well-Known Member

I debranded my 02 2.1 phone to the stock HTC 2.2
    My 8gb SD is my GoldCard & Storage Card.

Upgraded to the latest 2.2 last night no problem.

Concerned some people seem to have lost / have slow GPS.. I'll test that later and see if mine works.

9. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

you had a gold card inserted so it will be fine

nothing to do with root, just noobs not realising what ramifications installing debanded on branded phones have. all posts state that gold card is needed for all future ota updates
    they get excited and click "yes"

10. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

Vodafone debranded handset with OTA 2.2 installed, just put my gold card in and checked for updates....nothing (phone up to date). Has this update been pulled ?

11. EmperorKabir

EmperorKabir Well-Known Member

on 3 UK. completely unbranded desire. just saw the thread now. no update available.

12. cunning plan

cunning plan Member

O2 Unbranded / Simfree - No update available :(

13. mcchriswood

mcchriswood Well-Known Member

no updates on virgin

14. alexp86

alexp86 Newbie

No update on mine - unbranded/unlocked with Orange SIM

15. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

As above but on Vodafone.

Itching to get the update for no other reason than I WANT IT NOW!!

16. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

Just done a quadrant test for the first time on my phone and got 1143.

On updating from 2.1 to 2.2 it did seem harder for my phone to lock onto a HSDPA signal where it used to with no problem. This latest update has resolved that....wether that's a coincedence or not, I'm not sure

17. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

Just run it again and got 1296....

18. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert

I found mine dropped too and I noticed a bit of lag whereas others reported it seemed smoother. Once it was running for a day, it smoothed out for me too. However, I found the new update causes one of my most often used programs to crash a lot, so I dumped it and went back to 2.09 Froyo.
    I've had no problems with HSPA signals in either version that I noticed. It could be a coincidence...but I'm happier with this 2.09 software than 2.10.

19. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert

I don't think you can run it again, it caches some of the code in memory and produces a higher result. If you run it 2-3 times, it will get a little higher each time until it plateaus. You must restart the phone to flush the cahce and run it just once to get an accurate result. I get 1296 with 2.09 and 1146 with 2.10, so it's a tad faster in the benchmark with 2.09, but not much. I find it seems snappier in 2.09 though.

20. mightymax

mightymax Newbie

So was this update withdrawn temporarily, or what's the situation? I still don't have it. Unbranded in Switzerland. And all this panic about gold cards is only if you're rooted, right? I figure if I don't know what you're talking about then it's 'cause I don't need to know, hehe.

21. teppic74

teppic74 Android Enthusiast

The original froyo update was temporarily unavailable OTA a few days after release. I wouldn't be surprised if it's HTC's way of doing a limited test.

If you want the update you can still get it by applying it manually.

22. croyde

croyde Member

So on an Orange branded Desire thus still waiting for 2.2 but then how long will we have to wait for the update to fix the bugs in 2.2?

23. marshduck

marshduck Newbie

Hi,
    I am a little confused about all these comments about gold cards needed for this update.

I have an unbranded and unlocked 3 (one of the early ones) with a 16GB class 6 MicroSD from fleabay.
    I had to manually install the initial 2.2 release, but this one popped up fine when I did a check. I allowed it to install (over WIFI) and all was fine.
    No gold card needed or anything.

Quadrant reports 1150.

I wonder if it has something to do with any apps running in background.

Is the gold card really necessary or is it just a red herring?

Cheers

24. bartlet

bartlet Member

If you bought an unbranded phone then a goldcard isn't needed. If however you bought a branded phone and unbranded it yourself you'll need one.

25. teppic74

teppic74 Android Enthusiast

Also be wary if you bought your phone from ebay (or anywhere really). People have a habit of selling branded phones as unbranded and not telling you.

Tags: