• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Desire: All about Rooting - Updated 11 Nov 2011

Hey guys and gals..

Our root sticky (This one) will soon be replaced by the following:

http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/503471-desire-all-things-root-guide.html

This is our opportunity again to put our stamp on it...

Currently it looks like this: I have put my comments below in greem too. What do you guys think?

General Information

Root terminology is more advanced than ours. Good time to replace it. The "what is root" is covered by the rooting FAQ I feel.

Guides

ROMs/Kernels

Should Stock ROM list point to Shipped roms?

Themes

Overclocking / Underclocking / Undervolting

What about adding antutu CPU master? https://market.android.com/details?...sMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hbnR1dHUuQ3B1TWFzdGVyRnJlZSJd

Tools & Utilities

Maybe just keep the root tools thread here and amalgamate with the below?

Perhaps we could recommend root apps here instead? Not sure about "ROM Toolbox" though

Downloads

Upvote 0
Shipped-ROMs is definitely better than that XDA thread for RUUs. Not only has the XDA list not been updated for more than a year, but I think the CDMA RUUs are for the wrong phone! Shipped-ROMs use HTC codenames, so the Desire CDMA is Bravo_C rather than Desire (which was the codename for the Droid Eris).

How about something like:

where the links are to the appropriate shipped-ROMs collections (though it's not much of a collection for CDMA - does anyone know a better one?)

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
Hi Dan,

Just comparing this to the new sticky, and maybe some of the tools and utilities links are worth preserving (though like you I'm not sure about ROM Toolbox)? Apart from SetCPU, Ti and Root Explorer would be the first 2 root apps that come to mind, so I don't see the harm in linking those - we've recommended them often enough :)

Anything else I'd add? QSI isn't really a root app, but it's one we've recommended often enough when trying to diagnose problems that maybe it's worth a link? I've had a browse through my own app drawer and don't see so much else.

Did you reckon Scary Alien's "what is root" was too, well, scary? ;)

Upvote 0
Do you mean the "what does rooting mean?" Thread? If so thought it was just repeating what was in the rooting faq.

Don't want duplicate info so if you want both, feel free to strip the rooting faq.

I'm just a bit concerned its a bit of a mess right now so I'm having to point people to my signature rather than the sticky until its sorted. It's not ideal so whatever it takes to get it right and not have two guides and general info sections....

Upvote 0
I've been trying to educate myself about the "standard sticky", and as I currently grok it (sorry, it's late!) I think that a troubleshooting guide added to the guides section would be fine, but an extra section in the sticky would be more controvertial.

Dan, I'm guessing the main motivation for your proposal in post 8 vs post 4 is flattening the structure and removing subsections whose names match the first 2 sections? I think that's completely cool, as well as much neater.

Please, anyone else with ideas do chip in. The purpose of the sticky is to serve the needs of the forum, so we need your thoughts.

Upvote 0
The SDK download is a particularly visible difference. I guess it's a trade-off between visibility and duplication. ADB should be obvious from the title "[FAQ] ADB and Fastboot", so that one seems a clearer-cut example of something that can be tidied up.

Google apps is the odd one to me - very necessary for just one ROM, but it's a very widely known ROM. I think that I regard that as an oddity of CM rather than something people need generally, so not so important to include in the sticky (unless we feel that there's a chance that people who flash CM without noticing that it doesn't include gapps would go here without being directed - long shot in my opinion! :))

Upvote 0
Hadron, a troubleshooting guide would be an excellent addition, good idea.

I would suggest that a troubleshooting guide should include, or link to, a guide to how to apply a RUU through fastboot including instructions to apply the downgrade hboot if a custom hboot had been applied.

When I had to return my phone for repair (wouldn't boot) I had no idea:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones