1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Desire doesn't connect to 3G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iau, Feb 10, 2011.

1. iau

iau Lurker

Hello everyone. I recently bought an international version of the HTC Desire.

I went to my service provider to get a 3G internet service for it and I got it done. The problem is: the phone doesn't connect to 3G, only to Edge. I've tried all the settings available in the phone settings (Wireless & networks, Mobile networks, etc.) and even changed all network modes without success (it always connects only to Edge). I also tried the hidden menu that appears by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and changed all preferred network types (WCDMA, GSM, etc.) but it didn't help.

To make sure that it wasn't my provider's fault, I tried putting my SIM card in another phone, my friend's Samsung Galaxy S, his phone didn't connect at first; but then he opened a menu by dialing *#*#197328640#*#*, he chose an option call "Band combination" and chose the 900 MHz band. The phone then connected to 3G.

Thing is, when I dial that number nothing happens, so I can't open that menu. I know for a fact that my provider uses the 900 MHz band for 3G and that the Desire supports it, so I'm thinking that if I can configure this any way I can get it to work.

I'm new to Android so maybe I'm wrong. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Android Version: 2.2 (It's up to date according to my phone)
    Network: Movistar (I live in Panama)
    Issue: Already explained.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

You say international desire. Where is it from?

3. iau

iau Lurker

I ordered it from Amazon, it said "International Version". The only manual that came seems to be in German, so I guess it's European; though it came unlocked. I wouldn't have bought it but it supported the 900 MHz band that my provider uses.

4. iau

iau Lurker

Since I'm not getting replies I tried doing a factory reset to see if any application was causing the problem. No luck.

I friend of mine tells me the problem could be the firmware the phone is using, though I wouldn't really know.

5. Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. My Desire (2.29) only connects to mobile networks when I set the network mode to GSM only. When in automatic mode or WCDMA only it just doesn't get online. It started doing this quite randomly this week. It all started with a random HSPA behavior such as registering on the network with no data throughput, taking ages to get online etc until it finally died off totally this morning. No resets helped. Only going manual in GSM only allows me to sync email and get online. Nothing significant changed in the last week on the firmware/settings standpoint.

I wrote a note to HTC support just to make sure they get some feedback on this and hopefully start working on a fix.

I am disappointed because so far the phone worked flawlessly on both GPRS/EDGE and HSPA networks with a seamless handover from Wi-Fi when I got out of reach of a familiar Wi-Fi network.

If anybody knows what to do to fix this, please let me know.

Cheers,

Fr.

6. Mine is from Amazon France and is unlocked.

7. iau

iau Lurker

Guys, turns out the problem actually was the 3G frequency the phone uses. I was told by someone else that my carrier uses 850 MHz on 3G. I sent the phone back to Amazon.

This wouldn't have been a problem if my carrier had given me the right information. (I was assured multiple times that they used 3G on 900 MHz, then I bought the phone, oh well, what can you do -__-)

Fran

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews