• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire+Froyo Speediness

MrIphone

Jun 30, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I tested a desire running 2.1 for 2 weeks (to check out a viable alternative to another iPhone) and was stunned at how good it was, I simply didnt expect it. However, the two areas that i felt it really wasn't great (which are two areas that are important to me) were the speed of the music player, and photo gallery.

I only had a 4Gb card bundled but I loaded 400 odd photos and filled the rest up with music.

I walk to and from work for about 45 mins each way, so music capability is very important, and I felt the music player didn't really cut it performance wise when, say, unlocking the phone, opening the music player and skipping to a different artist etc.

I also found the pictures app to not scroll anywhere near as smoothly when scrolling through an album full of pics.

I know 2.2 is supposed to bring some pretty major performance upgrades with the JIT compiler - can anyone let me know if they have noticed a difference in these two areas?

Perhaps it was just me, but I couldn't seem to get Facebook or my e-mail to "push" updates to the phone? I got twitter to check every 5 mins which is fine, but I couldn't for the life of me get facebook to! I checked the settings under something like setting-> accounts and sync (I'm doing this from memory) and set everything to as low a frequency as possible.

everything else, the desire trumped my iphone on, I can see Apple being beaten into the ground this year unless they do something VERY special with iOS5!

Thanks Everyone

For both music and photos, I use other apps most of the time.

I think the picture scrolling is a faster, though that might be the placebo effect. Personally, the music app didn't change much.

However, the JIT is definitely helping. It hangs less, and apps open up faster.

Upvote 0
Thanks applefruit.

I tried a couple of other free music apps, think one was called btunes (it looked alot like the iPod app) that was ok, but i really want something on par (or very close to) apples offering. The photos arnt such a biggie, but it's nice to be able to carry all my pics (4000 plus) with me and access them quickly and smoothly!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones