• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help desire - getting missed calls but phone not ringing

I have found that on Orange if you have the Internet open it doesn't ring. For some reason the whole of your bandwidth must be allocated to the data hence no incoming calls. This is true for 2G and 3G, also if you have it open in the back ground. So far a Simple solution is to download Dolphin Browser HD web browser (Which BTW is a free app so Im not trying to get anyone to buy anything). A colleague suggested it as a great browser and when installing it I was prompted to set it as default. After this I repeated all of my tests using this to view the internet and all of my calls came through.

I assume its been done this way to reduce download times and speed up the browsing experience but to be honest I haven't noticed any detrimental issues using Dolphin Browser HD. This is just my view but seems to work for me and again I have no affiliation with the Dolphin app or whoever created it, I just happen to have found that my phone rings while on the net when using this app. If you like try some of the others and see if you get the same results.

I did get a call from Orange after emailing the support address with Jonathan response and after running through some details and going through further tests with Jeanette I still had the same problem. They also confirmed that my number transfer went through ok. My Desire is the Black on Firmware 2.1 update1, Browser version Webkit 3.1 and Internet app version 7.

Hope this helps,
Rob.L

**My tests were simple, open the internet app and goto google.com while this was loading call the phone from my work land line. Missed call. Once loaded into Google.com call again without data loading i.e. noindicators of upload or download. Missed call. Repeated the above with Wifi on at home with same results. Also with Sync on and off same result. The background test I opened Internet app, input google.com and then while loading hit the home key. Again Missed call.

Repeated these again with Dolphin Browser HD installed and now working fine, all calls come through.

Upvote 0
I have been getting this issue intermittently. Again today I missed two calls a minute or so apart and was notified about them about a minute later.

I wasn't on the Internet (listening to music on headphones). Maybe the phone was syncing in the background?

I can't see it as a signal issue as I was in East London not in the country. My guess is that its an app (with the read phone state permission) interfering with the calls coming in but I have dozens. So finding out which won't be easy.

Upvote 0
So far only 1 instance of a missed call with text notification. I must admit I don't get many calls usually but I've recently got married and there were lots of incoming calls leading upto the event but happily none were missed.
In my auto kill list I have Friend Stream, Footprints, Peep and Stocks. My default browser is still Dolphin HD and as yet no further problems.

Upvote 0
I had this problem when I got my desire hd. Drove me completely crazy because I was missing so many calls.

You are right that its a problem with the networks not turning off the data when you only have 2g signal and it is a setting that chooses which to prioritize, but its very expensive so they won't change the setting.

My solution, switch to vodafone. They prioritize phone calls and I haven't missed a call since

Upvote 0
I had this same problem a couple months into owning my Desire, also on O2. Everything set on manual refresh, mobile internet off ...... the whole lot. I'd get missed calls sometimes while on wifi and sometimes not.

Before losing the will to live, I went through and deleted a few games that I had recently downloaded. Problem solved and I haven't had the problem again....going on maybe 4 months now.

I'm now more particular about games permissions.

Give it a try and be ruthless. You can then add the games/apps back one by one to find the culprit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones