• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire HD Battery Thread

its not lag though is it its the battery

Hi gabbyevs,

Even though the problem that you are experiencing is regarding the battery and not lag, you should definitely read this.

As Fio said the '/INIT resolution' should improve battery life as well.
What the guys at XDA-DEV found when investigating this was that the /INIT process was running and using between 70% and 100% of the CPU processing, even when the phone was idle. This explains why some people see the DHD's battery drain even when they go to sleep and the phone is not being used.

Turning USB Debugging On seems to send /INIT to its dormant form and its CPU usage goes straight down to 0%.

People are now reporting that since doing this their battery is lasting considerably more.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
This is so God damn frustrating...

My battery doesn't last an entire 8 hour shift, where I'll only use it on my breaks, which is an hour a day. It's always flat (0% battery) by the time I get home and the battery usage seems to think it's down to the calendar... Tried everything...

device.png

Upvote 0

My battery doesn't last an entire 8 hour shift, where I'll only use it on my breaks, which is an hour a day. It's always flat (0% battery) by the time I get home and the battery usage seems to think it's down to the calendar... Tried everything...

I'm going to have a stab in the dark here.... The image shows you have an alarm set... Presumably this is tied into the calendar app in some way. Now, I'm not saying that having an alarm set _should_ use that much battery but try turning it off and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I have got my DHD yesterday after a long frustrating comparison with SGS. I have been following this battery life thread and would like to know what is the best utility to check on battery performance. Do you guys use a native tool or a third party one?
Thanks.

Battery not withstanding, how are you finding the transition from SGS to DHD. Very interested to know if you've adjusted to the lower quality screen and if the software generally feels less buggy than the SGS.

Upvote 0
Battery not withstanding, how are you finding the transition from SGS to DHD. Very interested to know if you've adjusted to the lower quality screen and if the software generally feels less buggy than the SGS.
I did not have SGS but know someone who has and he is very unhappy with the performance but like the feel of the phone. I do like the shape and the feel SGS also but I don't have time for the problems it is giving, so I went for the DHD at the end.

I like the screen on the DHD, it looks good. I still need to check how it performs in a sunny day.

I have been using the phone heavily, settings, download, wifi, maps etc and it finally reach 10% this morning. I don't think one charge cycle is enough to report anything yet but will see how it goes.

Just need to know how to capture the data now.

Thanks,
J

Reactions: karnka
Upvote 0
My battery is making me really regret getting this phone.
I take it of the charge at 7.30am this morning, go to work and it is dead by 2.30pm.

I sent about 7 emails throughout the day and made 1 5min phone call. It was idle for the rest. there is something seriously wrong with the battery and my calender usage was 60%

Upvote 0
My battery is making me really regret getting this phone.
I take it of the charge at 7.30am this morning, go to work and it is dead by 2.30pm.

I sent about 7 emails throughout the day and made 1 5min phone call. It was idle for the rest. there is something seriously wrong with the battery and my calender usage was 60%

Did you try what I suggested to someone above? Checking any alarms were turned off?

Upvote 0
Hi gabbyevs,

Even though the problem that you are experiencing is regarding the battery and not lag, you should definitely read this.

What the guys at XDA-DEV found when investigating this was that the /INIT process was running and using between 70% and 100% of the CPU processing, even when the phone was idle. This explains why some people see the DHD's battery drain even when they go to sleep and the phone is not being used.

Turning USB Debugging On seems to send /INIT to its dormant form and its CPU usage goes straight down to 0%.

People are now reporting that since doing this their battery is lasting considerably more.

Good luck.

thanks yes i see your point will give anything a try if it will help its got to that point now although yesterday seems to have been better still going on 21 hours

if anyones interested i turned off auto task killer and that seems to have helped ironically

Upvote 0
Someone please help, the last 2 nights somethings been taking all my battery,

last night at 10.30 my battery was at 64% and ive not touched it all night and now its at 1%?

Somethings seriosuly wrong surely, this happened the night before as well any ideas?

I have not installed any new apps except flash player 10.1 when this started happening, a few night agao it only when down a few % when i left it on overnight!

The only idea i have is that it doesnt seem to have any signal, most of the time, does that use up alot of battery trying to find one?
I looked up battery use it says 81% cell standby 89% no signal?

Also it keeps asking to me select my time region and i select the right one and it says it cant do it any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi gabbyevs,

Good luck.

hi ive tried that for the last couple of days and its made no difference wotsoever dont know if my battery is dodgy or what now its getting ridiculous

Upvote 0
Someone please help, the last 2 nights somethings been taking all my battery,

last night at 10.30 my battery was at 64% and ive not touched it all night and now its at 1%?

Somethings seriosuly wrong surely, this happened the night before as well any ideas?

I have not installed any new apps except flash player 10.1 when this started happening, a few night agao it only when down a few % when i left it on overnight!

The only idea i have is that it doesnt seem to have any signal, most of the time, does that use up alot of battery trying to find one?
I looked up battery use it says 81% cell standby 89% no signal?

Also it keeps asking to me select my time region and i select the right one and it says it cant do it any ideas?

not that i know much but that percentage seems high i reckon its trying to find a signal thats draining it all the time

Upvote 0
Also and interesting option, its been mentioned here no doubt –

About phone-->Battery

This shows basic battery status, level, Up and Awake times.

About phone-->Battery-->Battery use

This shows what is drawing the power from the battery and time since it was last connected to micro SD

You can then select each available option that will also provide more info on the power use

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Lee

Reactions: PrideLeader
Upvote 0
Just got through reading this whole thread and I have a few comments to make, if anyone's willing to read.

Sorry. just me being thick here. But what's the 'accelerator'? :thinking:

Ta

Dave

Thanks for being thick so I didn't have to :D

I'm still waiting for my DHD but a couple of questions about the battery...

I currently use an iPhone 3G with Wifi, bluetooth, 3G and push email left on. Last all day and it goes on charge when I go to bed.

Am I likely to get the same usage from the DHD? Or will it only last a few hours with all those things left on?

I don't know what the iPhone is like but there are widgets and apps to let you turn things like the wifis, the bluetooths and the 3 Gs on and off from your home screen. I've been using the stock one, "Power Control", which gives you "on/off" control over wifi, bluetooth, GPS and auto-sync, as well as a "low/mid/high" screen brightness control. There are others with more that I have seen, and I'll be getting one as soon as I stop reading massive threads on these forums and actually get around to doing what I was going to do. Seriously, I've been on the forum for about 4 hours today, maybe more, and I've still not done what I logged on to do. Anyway, my point is, I've had decent battery life lately, and I have been turning things on and off as and when I need them. It might be worth a try.

can a air brain lady ask when i looked at the battery it said display is taking 83% is this normal or not if not how to cut down first android phone. thanks

I've noticed the way people are talking about the usage percentage of various applications, and I would like to point something out. When you look at the battery usage page, all numbers should always add up to 100. This is the percentage of the spent battery power used on each application/service, not the percentage of the battery that each application/service has used up (unless of course you are at 0% battery, in which case your phone will have turned off already and you won't be able to see that screen :p). For instance, my phone currently says it has 70% battery left, so it has only used 30%. The battery stats say the display has used 58%. If the phone has used 30% of its battery, the display can't have used 58%. Instead, it is 58% of the 30% used, and so the display has actually used 17.4% of the battery's overall power. Also, the fewer things that are taking battery power, the higher these percentages are likely to be. Apologies if that sounds a little patronising, but I got the impression that some people didn't really understand that.

Ps i clicked the unhappy face by accident, im new and dont know how to remove it from the title :(

It's okay man, the unhappy face doesn't get enough love anyway. It's probably why he's so unhappy :(

I agree with the above. There does seem to be some contradiction with the information on this forum about Task killers, and what I read elsewhere on other forums etc.

It may be just me and my novice approach to android but after originally installing and using a task killer I was experiencing problems with lag and reduced battery, and since removing said app, the OS performed like the day I got it, and works like a dream now., but maybe this was due to installing the new update?

Can we get some clarification from some more experienced users on this situation. Just because 2.1 and before needed task killers, it doesn't mean there are required now... or does it???

I've done a lot of reading this last week on Android and the DHD, as I'm new to it all. From what I've read, it seems pretty conclusive that task killers do more harm than good. I haven't any first-hand experience though, make if that what you will.

Maybe it would be nice if everyone wrote which microSD card they're using (brand, class, capacity). Maybe it has something to do with the battery drain as well.

8GB Samsung which came with the phone. I assumed everybody got the same, no? I guess some may have switched out for a higher capacity though.

device.png

Are you syncing your calender with Gmail? It did occur to me that possibly the calendar is constantly trying to sync, but can't for some reason (maybe there is no wifi/3G connection), and so keeps trying. That would explain that crazy-high power drain.

Back to the original topic: I've used 40% of my battery, and the phone's been off charge since sometime between midday and 3PM yesterday. I can't give a solid figure because the stats say 2 hours 25 mins since being unplugged, which is definitely not right. I've had some light-medium usage in this time (I've actually been up for about 10 hours now, fiddling with my phone from time to time). I generally keep things like wifi switched off unless I'm specifically using them. I've also turned the phone off two or three times, and immediately back on, which probably explains the bad timekeeping on the stats page. I've always had auto-rotate on and have been fiddling with other settings as I'm still trying to find which ones work for me. I turned on auto-brightness a few hours ago, but it's not really been long enough to tell if it makes a difference.

The other day I did try two new things, and after that my battery life improved pretty significantly. One was to turn on USB debugging mode (which also sorted out the lag), the other was to charge via USB connection to my PC, not from the mains. In hindsight I should have done these things separately to see which one made the most difference, but I saw a great leap in battery life after this.

Sorry about the mega-long post (...said the bishop to the nun), hopefully someone finds something useful in there.

Upvote 0

device.png

I've also noticed a high % of battery going to the calendar. I've got the 4x1 widget on the home screen (HTC calendar widget #3 that shows one item that's coming up) and the full page agenda view on another home screen (HTC calendar widget #2).

My consumption didn't go as high as yours, but usually around 20-30% which is still ridiculous for a calendar!

I've removed the 4x1 widget now and a couples of hours have passed & the calendar isn't even showing any consumption on the usage screen.

Did you have that same 4x1 widget running?

It took about 10-14 days for me to start breathing a sigh of relief about my battery. I did 5-6 full charge/discharge cycles over that time and tried hard not to do little topups. I recently did the 'charge whilst on, charge whilst off...etc' thing after a couple weeks and have now switched on USB debugging too just for good measure.

I'm getting about a day & a half if I leave it to the bitter end with reasonable usage (including a cojuple songs, bit of sat nav, calls, texts, few games & browsing). Actually, I'm using my laptop alot less since I got this phone so I think it's a more than fair trade off. As someone pointed out the battery time on a laptop doesn't even come close to this phone!

All things considered I'm a happy customer.

Upvote 0

I've also noticed a high % of battery going to the calendar. I've got the 4x1 widget on the home screen (HTC calendar widget #3 that shows one item that's coming up) and the full page agenda view on another home screen (HTC calendar widget #2).

My consumption didn't go as high as yours, but usually around 20-30% which is still ridiculous for a calendar!

I've removed the 4x1 widget now and a couples of hours have passed & the calendar isn't even showing any consumption on the usage screen.

Did you have that same 4x1 widget running?

I've been using just the 4x1 widget and have no issues, maybe the problem lies in having two widgets for the same application, rather than with a specific widget.

Upvote 0
I have a Desire HD arriving tomorrow. I allready have a larger capacity battery off Ebay.
I have never owned a phone that I don't have to charge everyday so I don't see the problem.
Every phone I own I have two batteries for.
The batteries only last about six hours when walking with gps on with my htc touch hd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones