1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Desire HD proximity sensor failure

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kungura, Oct 17, 2010.

1. karnka

karnka Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Newcastle, England
    This is the kind of issue that makes me consider a reputable seller for this sort of thing.

How I imagine things playing out if you take a problem like this to the people you bought it off:

CPW/P4U: They'll tell you to get lost and point you at HTC (whether they're supposed to or not they will try and get rid of you).

Amazon/Play/Direct from a carrier: Will swap the phone no questions asked, quite possibly for one with the same problem. Repeat again and again.

Clove/Expansys: Will probably have spoken to someone in HTC who might know the truth and will either replace the phone if necessary, with a tested replacement or let you know about the software side of things.

Advertisement

2. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    What i don't understand is how none of the prototype units that were in the wild had this problem. You would think that anybody who was testing it before would have found this problem seeing as its not too hard to reproduce!

3. amg_1969

amg_1969 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    East Anglia
    Have (changed from specific company to general) THEY jumped the gun and sold of early stock, instead of returning it as faulty?:thinking:

4. karnka

karnka Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Newcastle, England
    I think it's far too early to assume that given they're not the only ones shipping stock (CPW and Vodafone at least).

It's also not something you can really assume based on what one person at HTC has said :)

5. jonrwg

jonrwg Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 3, 2010
    before getting the phone better try to make outgoing calls on the spot. lol. if there is a problem show it to them straight away and ask for a new unit. much easier that way. =D

6. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    Not sure I believe that the phone was 'shipped before HTCs release date' as per another thread. I mean, if there was a problem like this HTC would have notified the carriers/dealers and they wouldn't have sold them. At the end of the day it is an HTC problem so all the dealers/carriers would have said, 'sorry, delay in shipping to rectify technical problems' or some such. They wouldn't want to be associated with selling a *duff* phone.

I would sincerely hope ....

Dave

7. Mark_H

Mark_H Member
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    it sounds like it is connected in someway to the light sensor. Watching the video (4mins in) on HTC's website they mention - "when you are in a meeting and the phone rings, no problem, pick the phone up and turn it over, the phone goes silent..." - maybe it switches the screen off...? So this issue maybe related to this feature...?

8. MrPie

MrPie Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    Manchester, UK

Ahh yes. Thanks for pointing that out Mark. You are definitely spot on about that. Of course with that being said. Can someone verify this works on the faulty phones. Try ringing your DHD and turn the phone over. And then back up again. Will the screen come back on? That feature might also suffer from the same problem of the BSOD "Black Screen of death" Is what we shall call it :D

9. Nezing

Nezing Newbie
    None

Oct 16, 2010
    Office Research
    Solihull,West Midlands,UK
    Oh dear,I was going to get the HTC Desire HD on Saturday,from the Carphone Warehouse,here in the UK.Now I am not so sure.Sensor glitches,black screens,can not disconnect from phone-calls? I own the Orange San Francisco,my first venture in to Android,and bought this as a "stop-gap" before getting the Desire HD.I guess I will "mess" about with it in store,switching it on/off,and using it in different-store light levels.Will they let me "make a call on it" (No :D).Will I take the plunge in the end,and sign a contract? Will let you know after this Saturday:(

10. alameals

alameals Member
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    Havent had one problem so far with mine.made plenty of calls and sending thid from my hd.am i just lucky?

11. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    Just checked the serial numbers given earlier.Mine starts with one of the combos but had no problems in 2 days with mine.

Dave

12. arlrb

arlrb Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    My email to HTC customer services:

Hi
    Please pass this onto technical services...

I bought a SIM free Desire HD on Tuesday (19th), it has a problem which i'm hoping can be cured with software.

Once i make a call, the screen turns off (almost immediately) with no way of turning it back on! Therefore i cannot end the call my end, or anything else for that matter. The only way to get it to respond is to either plug-in the power or, if that is not possible, remove the battery. When receiving a call, the screen does not go off at all (ie when placed against my ear). This should not happen either & i think the 2 problems are related, but the latter by no means as annoying because the phone is still fully operational in that case.

I have the screen set to auto-brightness & noticed it didn't change regardless of light conditions. I performed a phone restart & it then does begin to respond to different light conditions, but at some point it stops working again, & maybe this is related too.

After viewing androidforums.com, it would appear i am not alone with this problem.

Please advise asap, my phone is, well, not a phone; i can't make any calls!

Please don't ask me to return the phone to the store i bought it from unless you know for sure that it is a hardware problem.
    My phone is as it came in terms of apps etc.

Kind regards...

We'll see.

13. SpencerUk

SpencerUk Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    So question,

What if HTC turns around and says

"you shoudn't have been sold that handset as we have not given X go ahead to do so".

Then the store gets in trouble and HTC can't do an awful lot, in then you have to go back to the store.

14. TheSuper

TheSuper Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    Android newbie lol
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
    Further update to what i previously posted earlier today:

All very, very strange!!! :thinking:

15. arlrb

arlrb Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Not sure what your point is.
    I want to know if they know anything about it (& if they do they'll probably deny it), if it's SW i'll wait for a fix, if HW i'll take it back & try & get a replacement or refund.

16. bigal23

bigal23 Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2010
    i have just got the hd on saturday and just seen this thread new to all this smart phone stuff.
    let me get this straight if i make a call on one of these faulty phones the screen goes blank and will not com back on yeah?

17. arlrb

arlrb Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Correct.
    Doesn't happen all the time, but most the time.

18. arlrb

arlrb Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    I read an earlier post about blowing on the sensor to fix the problem.
    My phone is in pristine condition, but nevertheless, I made a call, the screen went off & unresponsive. I then gave it a good blow & the screen comes back on, has been working properly ever since.
    For such a quick, easy fix this doesn't bother me at all.

Sunray, fatjames and T_L_T like this.
  19. arlrb

arlrb Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    My theory is...

What's on the fascia is just a lens. The sensor itself is probably surface mounted on the board, so in between there's a gap & dust or whatever can find its way in via the ear speaker mesh. Cleaning the lens will not help, but blowing through the right hand side of the mesh will dislodge any debris on the sensor.

20. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Blowing on the mesh fixed the issue for me!

Absolutely bizarre, I'm not sure if it were dust or if theres some sort of plastic film or what, but it's completely resolved it. My only hope is that it doesn't break again as easily as it was fixed.

Now I'm going to get the compressed air on it!

Thanks for reporting the fix.

21. MrPie

MrPie Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Hah just imagine carrying a can of compressed air on you all day. It's better to get a fix than having to blow on the phone every time you make a call. Hopefully when the phones officially release they don't suffer the same problem. Like most people have said. It's probably the early stock that wasn't supposed to be given out that are faulty.

22. arlrb

arlrb Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Blown once... story of my life.
    All fixed ever since.

23. i5000

i5000 Lurker
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Very glad to hear you guys have found a quick simple fix, i could almost hear the ifan boys writing material to slate us with, i've not had the problem but at least i know what to do if i do.

24. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    :D

25. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Just to be clear, this 'fix' is a 'permanent' solution, you don't need to blow more than once, providing of course it's working in the first place.