• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Desire HD stuck on boot (blackscreen) and cannot mount SD card

urokai

Lurker
Jul 3, 2013
Hello guys, its my first post here, hopefully someone will be able to help me.

So i got this HTC desire HD from someone, and at first it worked (jellybean 4.1.2 i think). But then, i tried to connect it via usb but the mass storage moving option was not available. So I figured out wiping off the internal sd card would do it.

Then, i boot into recovery and wipe off cache, dalvik and the factory reset. This is where the nightmare kicks in, i rebooted my phone, it went past by the HTC logo but its stuck at the black screen. And the in the recovery mode it says it cannot mount the internal sd card.

Tried to follow the guide at this thread : http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/485991-pls-help-stuck-cant-mount-sd-card-recovery.html

But it didn't work, is this fixable?

Hi urokai, and welcome to AF :)

You'll get better support for this one in the Desire HD section - I'll ask one of the staff to move the thread to there.

The device has clearly been "rooted" (hacked to give you administrator access). It's possible that you have what's sometimes called a "usb brick", which stops the phone seeing the card. These are fixable, but it would be better to get advice from someone who knows the phone. What recovery are you using, because some have a fix for that as one of the recovery features?

It may also be something different, e.g. a feature of the ROM you were running that didn't play well with all of the deleting you did (there are one or two custom setups for the Desire which could cause problems, though as the DHD is less limited in its resources I'd hope it would not be using such things). I'm guessing that as you received this phone in a modified state you don't know precisely what ROM or mods it was using?

Anyway, I'll get this moved and we'll see what the experts think. Don't worry, stuff like this is fixable. :)

Reactions: scotty85 and urokai
Upvote 0
Hello there Hadron, thank you for the reply.

The phone used to have 4EXT recovery touch, but after i followed the guide within the thread i posted (with flashing the AmonRa recovery), the recovery mode has since stuck and cannot be access.

Yeah, as I received the phone, its in a modified state and I'm not very sure as to what version the ROM or mods the phone was in (except that I remember about jellybean 4.1.2, if I'm not mistaken).

Thank you again, and really am expecting the experts reply.

Upvote 0
The guide you linked was for the Desire, not the Desire HD, so any patches or recoveries linked in it will be incompatible with your phone (references to Amon Ra in that thread are also very old even for the Desire).

You need to find a recovery that's been built for the Desire HD and flash that instead. Otherwise find a ROM Update Utility and reflash the phone back to stock, but if you can reinstall 4Ext for the DHD that should fix it without data loss or reverting to an older android version. See whether there are any pointers in the All Things Root Guide sticky post in this forum.

If you can't find the answer and nobody pops up with one here, you could drop a private message (pm) to D-U-R-X or scotty85. One of them should be able to sort you out.

Reactions: urokai and scotty85
Upvote 0
first thing we prolly want to do is get ext 4 back onto the phone. you can download it from here: PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.zip

assuming you are s off,and superCID, then it should install as a PD98IMG from hboot

some other info about your phone will prolly help. if you could follow these directions and paste the resulting output,making sure to x out your esn and meid:
first download and install these drivers: revolutionary drivers (mirror)

then,download this small file:
mini-adb.zip

-unzip it,and place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive(not inside a folder)

-open a cmd window(with win 7,click start bubble,type "command" or "cmd" in hte search box)

-now change to your mini-adb directory(assuming you didnt chagne the name). type in the black cmd window that opened on your PC:
cd c:\mini-adb

-pull the battery in your phone for a few seconds. hold volume down,then power. hold them both until you see the white/colored writing hboot screen

-select "fastboot" from the hboot menu with the vol rocker/power button

-in your cmd window type:
fastboot devices

it should output your phones serial number. if so youre good to go. if not,youre apparently having a driver issue. i usually recomend these drivers from Revolutionary: modified htc drivers download and install the drivers(you should just have to run that file). afterwards,unplug your phone,plug it back in. make sure its in fastboot. as soon as you get a result from "fastboot devices" your ready to procede to the next step.

-in your cmd window,type(or copy/paste,is much easier):
fastboot getvar all

-copy the info that outputs here. right click in your cmd window,click mark,highlight it all in white. hit enter. paste the info here. it will help us know which ruu for you to run. :)

Reactions: urokai and Hadron
Upvote 0
Hello the scotty85, thanks again for replying. Here's what I've got:

c:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 0.85.2425
INFOversion-baseband: 26.10.04.03_M
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: 0438
INFOversion-main: 2.47.502.7
INFOserialno: XXXXXXXXXXX
INFOimei: XXXXXXXXXXXX
INFOproduct: ace
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
INFOmodelid: PD9810000
INFOcidnum: 11111111
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 3906mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: off
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: a3d4fa0f
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
INFOregion-id: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.104s

Upvote 0
Hello the scotty85, thanks again for replying. Here's what I've got:

c:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion-bootloader: 0.85.2425
INFOversion-baseband: 26.10.04.03_M
INFOversion-main: 2.47.502.7
INFOserialno: XXXXXXXXXXX
INFOimei: XXXXXXXXXXXX
INFOcidnum: 11111111 <- superCID
INFObattery-voltage: 3906mV
INFOsecurity: off
INFOcommitno-bootloader: a3d4fa0f
finished. total time: 0.104s

good,you are s off and supercid as well.that means it will be easy to find an ruu you can run(you can literally use any),since the phone is doing no security checks

were you able to install the recovery? any luck in flashing a new rom or restoring a backup?

Reactions: urokai
Upvote 0
Yes I was able to install the recovery back. Can you guide me the link for any ruu I can use? Flashing a new rom or restoring backup because it says cannot mount sdcard (i'm not using any eternal sd card, just the internal one).

is your external sd card not working? or you are just not using one?

you can try this ruu,wich is a .exe you will run on your pc with the phone in fastboot mode.
Shipped ROMs

if the ruu will not run,use this file: Shipped ROMs

you can flash it using these directions:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

Reactions: urokai
Upvote 0
Thanks scotty! It works now!! :D:D I used the first link, and it installs perfectly. This saved my day.

awsome! :smokingsomb:

glad you are sorted. if you wish to reinstall recovery,you can do so with so easily with s off. recovery downloads and basic instructions here: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...lock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html#post5660950

if you wish to stay on that rom,you can flash superuser to become rooted. alternately,you can simply flash a different rom(dont forget to make a backup!)

holler if you ahve firther questions :)

Upvote 0
Hey brother!! I'm stuck on same problem also!! I can't mount SD card in recovery and stuck on black screen comes after HTC logo. I tried to follow these steps, installing stock rom via fastboot!! But i got error!! Please help!!!

what error do you get? we need more info than that to help :)

follow carefully the directions in post#5 and list that out put here :)

also,what happened to cause your phone to be in the state that its in?

Upvote 0
I wonder if anyone is able to help me, i have a htc desire hd which i was trying to update to jellybean. I got as far as unlocking the bootloader and when attempting to root the device i ran into some problems and i am now stuck with a black screen and am unable to run any RUU's. Please see below for diagnostic info -

INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0029
INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.04.28_M
INFOversion-main: 3.13.0.0
INFOserialno: HT0CARX23911
INFOimei: [MOD REMOVED]
INFOcidnum: HTC__001
INFObattery-voltage: 4084mV
INFOsecurity: on
INFOcommitno-bootloader: fcef1579

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Upvote 0
I wonder if anyone is able to help me, i have a htc desire hd which i was trying to update to jellybean. I got as far as unlocking the bootloader and when attempting to root the device i ran into some problems and i am now stuck with a black screen and am unable to run any RUU's. Please see below for diagnostic info -

INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0029
INFOversion-main: 3.13.0.0
INFOimei: [MOD REMOVED]
INFObattery-voltage: 4084mV
INFOcommitno-bootloader: fcef1579

Any help would be greatly appreciated

luckily,you are on a common cid,just your main version is preventing you from from running the ruu.

do you have a recovery installed? if not,then go ahead and install a recovery. then you will need to,in a nutshell:

-download the "set main version low" zipfile from this post
-flash set main version low in recovery
-download this ruu: Shipped ROMs (zip version) or Shipped ROMs (.exe version)
-lock bootloader with
fastboot oem lock
-run the ruu by starting the .exe with the phone in fastboot,or flashing the zip from the sd card,or flashing the zip from fastboot/ruu mode(i can provide directions if needed)

holler if you need any clarifiations :)

Upvote 0
luckily,you are on a common cid,just your main version is preventing you from from running the ruu.

do you have a recovery installed? if not,then go ahead and install a recovery. then you will need to,in a nutshell:

-lock bootloader with
fastboot oem lock
-run the ruu by starting the .exe with the phone in fastboot,or flashing the zip from the sd card,or flashing the zip from fastboot/ruu mode(i can provide directions if needed)

Thanks for your reply Scotty I haven't got any recovery installed could you point me in the right direction of what to use?

Upvote 0

-lock bootloader with
fastboot oem lock

Hi Scotty I have followed your instructions and my phone is now functioning and running the RUU u pointed me too so thank you.

I am now struggling to unlock the bootloader again or run the recovery, the message i get is

D:\mini-adb>fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)... OKAY [ 0.013s]
writing 'unlocktoken'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 0.017s

I am a little confused is my bootloader unlocked and am i still rooted? Also why wont the EXT 4 recovery work since installing the RUU?

INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0027
INFOversion-main: 3.12.405.1
INFOimei:
INFObattery-voltage: 3911mV
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 743ca94a

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty I have followed your instructions and my phone is now functioning and running the RUU u pointed me too so thank you.

I am now struggling to unlock the bootloader again or run the recovery, the message i get is

D:\mini-adb>fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)... OKAY [ 0.013s]
writing 'unlocktoken'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 0.017s

I am a little confused is my bootloader unlocked and am i still rooted? Also why wont the EXT 4 recovery work since installing the RUU?
the ruu replaced all the images on your phone with the ones in the ruu,including a stock recovery,and the older,non-htcdev-compatible hboot.

so your token is failing becasue the current hboot is not compatible.

the recovery is failing becasue its no longer there. what youre seeing is the stock recovery when you try and select recovery from hboot.

what you will need to do is upgrade your hboot back to 2.00.0029,and re-unlock it. your original unlock_code.bin should work,but if not just get a new one.

at that point you can re-install your recovery,and if you want to stay s on and flash roms,you will need to learn how to flash your boot image seperately,as recovery cannot install it while s on. one of the "perks" of htcdev :mad: this link should help: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/499172-how-manually-flash-roms.html#post3933400 its in the rezound forum,but the info applies,you just need to use the dhd specific recovery image.

if you desire to flash roms and mod a bit further than just adding root access to stock,id recomend to continue on with the other guide and achieve s off. as long as your cautious when fashing,s off is IMO better. it will make rom flashing easier,as well as making recovery from soft bricks(like what you just experienced) much easier. http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty,

Thanks very much for all your help. The guides were well written and easy to follow and I managed to obtain root access, supercid and s off. From there I have managed to install jellytime r11.

From what I can tell everything seemed to work but I am still unable to use any sim. Could I have missed anything or do I need to so something else to achieve simunlock?

My getvar is now

version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 2.00.0029
version-baseband: 26.14.04.28_M
version-cpld: None
version-microp: 0438
version-main: 3.12.405.1
serialno: HT0CARX23911
imei:
product: ace
platform: HBOOT-7230
modelid: PD9810000
cidnum: 11111111
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 4045mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: off
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: fcef1579
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0
region-id: 0

BOOTLOADER is as follows

*** UNLOCKED ***
ACE PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-2.00.0029
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot
Dec 22 2011,14:28:19

Thanks again for all your help so far :)

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty,

Thanks very much for all your help. The guides were well written and easy to follow and I managed to obtain root access, supercid and s off. From there I have managed to install jellytime r11.

From what I can tell everything seemed to work but I am still unable to use any sim. Could I have missed anything or do I need to so something else to achieve simunlock?

if you followed the s off/supercid/simunlock guide,then gfree should have sim unlocked your device,or give some error when it ran.

what prollems are you having?

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
if you followed the s off/supercid/simunlock guide,then gfree should have sim unlocked your device,or give some error when it ran.

what prollems are you having?

It didn't show up any errors when I followed the guide so I thought everything had gone fine but when I try to use a sim from a different network it doesn't work so I'm guessing it was only the sim unlock part of the process that didn't work.

Upvote 0
It didn't show up any errors when I followed the guide so I thought everything had gone fine but when I try to use a sim from a different network it doesn't work so I'm guessing it was only the sim unlock part of the process that didn't work.

are you just not getting data? or no phone signal at all? have you tried changing the network settings?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones