1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Desire HD turning off by itself.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RahhJarr, Feb 22, 2011.

1. RahhJarr

RahhJarr Lurker

I've had this phone for 3 weeks now. It worked fine for the first 2 weeks, then one day it decided to turn itself off randomly. I thought it was just asleep but when I pressed the power button the the startup screen came up. This happened quite a few times before I removed the battery and put it back in, this seemed to solve the problem for about 5 days except yesterday it started happening again, this time removing the battery didnt help. It's pretty random, it will stay on for 10 or 12 hours fine, and then all of a sudden it will decide to turn off about 5 times in a row.
    I havent done anything fancy with the phone, just installed about 10 or so apps.
    I know this is a known problem for the phone, I googled the issue and found it came up a few times but found no solution to the problem. I read something about the battery becoming disconnected which would cause a temporary loss of power causing it to turn off, this kind of makes sense, but I dont know how accurate this is. If that is in fact the problem, thats a pretty big fault from HTC. I'm thinking about giving the phone back if I can't get it solved, its just plain annoying, especially when you're in the middle of using the phone.

Any help on the issue would be appreciated :)

Advertisement

2. fattyfrog

fattyfrog Lurker

My HD has the same issue, if not worse. Every time i go to use it it is powered off. It turns on but will shut off soon after, sometimes before it has finished booting up, sometimes after 30 mins.
    Unuseable at the moment, very annoying.

3. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Android Enthusiast

Possible problems...

An installed app is causing it.
    A case is pressing the button.
    Battery covery is on incorrectly.

4. fattyfrog

fattyfrog Lurker

I am uninstalling the apps in reverse order of installation.
    Dont think it is either of the other two suggestions, but thanks for the assistance.
    Factory reset on way next.

5. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Android Enthusiast

Yes if all else fails factory reset should work!

6. Silhouette

Silhouette Lurker

I've factory reset my phone a handful of times and it still doesn't stay on but now it tells me it can't find the SIM card and I must restart or shut down.

If your phone is turning itself off either goto the shop where you got your phone or email HTC for a replacement.