1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Desire In The Arctic

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saprolith, Feb 5, 2011.

1. saprolith

saprolith Newbie
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    I am travelling to northern Sweden next week for what will be the trip of a lifetime.

Temperatures will be down to -22 and below at night when I expect to be out looking for the Aurora Borealis and -13 during the day when I will be 'adventuring'.

I'm taking my reliable Panasonic FZ18 but the Desire will be in my pocket and I'll probably use it to capture some of the action in 720p.

I need a view on my plans to keep the battery warm to prevent the cold from killing it. I have a silicon case and plan on putting a slim handwarmer between the case and back of the phone.

Obviously they get hot, they do not indicate to what temp but do you think it'll be safe ?

Advertisement

2. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Android Expert
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Keep it in a pocket close to your body, and don't use it for long periods at a time. Ditch the handwarmer idea, you'll very likely overheat the phone.

I also suggest keeping a spare camera battery warm in your pocket for when your main one inevitably runs out.

3. DC E1G

DC E1G Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    Canada
    These temperatures aren't all that different than I get where I live. All I've ever done is just made sure never to leave the phone anywhere. Keeping it in your pocket next to your leg should keep it in the mid 20s.

The warmer might be a good idea, but I wouldn't put them in the case. I'd just keep them in case somehow your phone dips down to below 12 or 13 degrees.

Just keep an eye on the temperature of the phone. You can find this by typing *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer. You'll find the temperature under battery information.

4. leeh1986

leeh1986 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    It might be a funky way around it, but if you're rooted you could find a good overclock speed to keep the battery at a decent temp??

5. saprolith

saprolith Newbie
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Thanks, I'll take your advice, seems wise.

6. formicae

formicae Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    +1, I regularly use my phone at less than -20C; although I keep mine in my interior coat pocket. But yeah, I pull it out for calls and SMS, the occasional quick photo or video and it does fine. Your fingers will freeze before the phone does.

If anything the cold is good for the battery, think of all those people who store their laptop batteries in the freezer. :D

7. DC E1G

DC E1G Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    Canada
    Actually, this does raise an interesting point. If you're really worried about the cold and don't plan on using or need your phone at all for a bit, pulling the battery out will allow it to handle the cold a bit better.

8. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2009
    IT consultant
    Shropshire UK
    I have used my desire on skiing trips without a problem (down to -10) . kept in in an inside pocket but used it quite a bit and even skied for a bit holding it to take video. As someone said your hand will get cold long before the phone cares. I couldn't compare battery life because I had data switched off and GPS switched on the whole time which is the opposite of what I usually do but it lasted the day with Satski set on maximum accuracy i.e GPS permanently on.

Tags: