1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Desire is impossible to see in sunlight..so whats the point

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sockgoblin, Jun 13, 2010.

1. sockgoblin

sockgoblin New Member

May 26, 2010
    UK
    I love the apps , battery life is fine with the correct settings But and its a large butt I cant see the screen in sunlight at all.

Is there anyway around this? ( apart from going indoors or finding shade) Anyone considering buying the device should try it outside of the shop it is really poor,:(

Advertisement

2. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

which device that you can see in direct sunlight do you recommend then?

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    What screen brightness are you using?

4. lekky

lekky Lover

turn the brightness up, if its low then you cannot see a think, but even automatic brightness for me works fine in sunlight. If you are more particular then full brightness should satisfy you.

5. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Ummm... I am yet to find a phone... no, scrap that, ANY electronic device that i can use in direct sunlight. The Desire is about the same as every other phone I have ever owned.

6. Lol mahmood

Lol mahmood Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    My iPod touch is more visible in bright sunlight than my Desire. I was also disappointed by that aspect of the Desire. I'm using a Nokia X6 while my Desire is away being fixed, and I think even that is better in sunlight - although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.

7. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    +1 for full brightness.

Auto brightness doesn't quite seem to get it right at times.

8. Unfriendly

Unfriendly Active Member

Apr 13, 2010
    As others have stated, try upping the brightness.. if that does not do it for you maybe you should try the super amoled screen on phones like Samsung Galaxy S instead and see if that is better for you. :)

9. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I love my desire, but it's crap in sunlight, stop sticking up for it

fatmabuy and yojosefo like this.
  10. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    England
    Yeah, but to be fair to the Desire any phone with an AMOLED screen is going to be the same in sunlight.

11. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    agreed, but doesnt make it less annoying. Super AMOLED is way forward

12. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Full brightness helps, if you can see the screen to increase the brightness lol ... but as has been said AMOLED is accepted to be awful in sunlight.

13. ukzen

ukzen Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Its no worse than my Omnia which was LCD,or most of my other phones ,doubt Galaxy is much better

14. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Move to the UK?

15. glow worm

glow worm Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    iphone can? :thinking::thinking:

16. chuksy

chuksy Member

Nov 18, 2008
    How do you put it on automatic brightness

17. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    settings/ sound&display/ brightness/ automatic brightness

18. balders

balders Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Hampshire, England
    Any device in sunlight is going to be hard to read, although my old Nokia 1100 was perfect in any condition and the battery lasted a week.

19. Captain Vallo

Captain Vallo Member

May 25, 2010
    Its OK, I'm getting the Nigel Tufnel brightness app, so on those rare days in the UK when that big yellow thing shows itself, I can just turn it up to 11.

20. toadstools

toadstools Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    ;o) ..but it only goes to ten!! Having 'dobly' app on mine to improve sound!

21. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Luton
    The Desire isn't the best in sunlight. Although, let's be honest, what phone is? More and more phones are including anti-glare type features, and I imagine these will be a common inclusion in future handsets.

22. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    the past
    Kindle? Motorola F3?

I'm looking forward to e-ink tech getting up to speed to be useful on smartphones etc.

23. MH75

MH75 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I agree that its is very poor.
    Anyone tried an anti glare screen protector?

24. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Journalist and publisher
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    AMOLED screens (like on the Desire) have the advantage of lower battery consumption, great viewing angles and a greater dynamic range, which is great for viewing photos, but the screen is completely emissive - the dots on the screen are the light source, which is a problem when ambient light, like bright sunshine, is very bright. Some types of LCD screen can cleverly work well in bright sunlight by reflecting that light back through the LCD, a kind of 'transflective' display. The colour and tone may not be very accurate but all-important readibility can be much better. I find that the Desire's screen is not as good as my old Tytn II phone in direct sunlight, but if you can find shade then you will be OK.

Ian

25. dunetails

dunetails Active Member

Ok, I like in the UK so don't get a chance to check screens in direct sunlight but I can't help but think this problem is over exaggerated.

I went to Orlando for 2 weeks after I got my Desire. I did have to ramp up the brightness to see it and the direct sunlight was an issue but I *could* see the screen. I was also with iPhone users though and can tell you that *everyone* had this problem.

Ultimately, I don't care though as the weather at home is so dull and grey that I would be grateful to have direct sunlight and not be able to see my Desire screen ;)

Tags: