• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire is T3 Phone Of The Year !

Dont blame the phone mate. You obviously have the wrong kind of headphones. There is a thread on here explaining this.

Well its both at fault.

The 3.5mm jack socket on the desire is recessed in such a way that some headphones do not fit in completely as desired due to their moulded plug. This causes the contacts to not meet properly resulting in low volume from the particular phones.

Upvote 0
Dont blame the phone mate. You obviously have the wrong kind of headphones. There is a thread on here explaining this.

I've got a nice set of Samsung BT headphones and don't even need it on full volume.

The sound quality is as good if not better than both my old N95 and N96 through headphones and unless you are some chav sitting on the bus playing his music there is no need to play music through the speaker.

This would certainly explain things, can you point me towards the thread in question so that I can view the list of headphones which seem to work best with this phone?

mny thanks :)

Upvote 0
This would certainly explain things, can you point me towards the thread in question so that I can view the list of headphones which seem to work best with this phone?

mny thanks :)

I found the one below which is not the one I was looking for but pretty much explains it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/136121-wired-headset-call-volume-low.html

its something to do with the bands on the headphone jack. Have a read and see if that helps.

Also if you download Mixzing media player from the market it has a built in EQ so can make it a lot louder :D

Also if you root there is an app called DSP manager that lets you make your volume louder.

let me know how you get on.

Upvote 0
No its nothing to do with the bands.

Initially we thought it was. The desire is designed to accept TRRS - 3 bands (initially thought contact issue was due to this) but also some TRS work fine - ruling this out.

The only conclusion is what I posted above. It is a contact issue but due to the physical recess of the socket and the moulded plug on some headphones.

Upvote 0
In a way I don't like this.

I hope it doesn't make HTC think that their crest of the wave success will make them lazy in their future products.

What I'm getting at is the hardware. I like my Desire but the hardware really lacks compared to Nokia models I have owned in the past. Not that I can go back to Symbian, but having proper dual stereo speakers, a proper camera sensor and lens (don't talk to me about megapixels) is something I really miss.

I appreciate smartphone batteries are always going to be heavily used, but I fear that HTC may simply just bring out future phones in the same style as my most hated company of all time: Apple. i.e. bring out phones that add new features but don't address urgent pressing old features, such as battery, camera, speakers, stability, holding it in your left hand without reception dropping out! Time will only tell.

In a line: I hope HTC's success doesn't cause them to lower their quality on future products now that they have a growing fanbase of brand loyal supporters.

Good for them though!

With you on this, i had a Nokia N96 and it had a 5mp camera that even back in 2008 was way better than the one on the Desire now.

Upvote 0
Yes it does. The fact that software developers have to include multitasking from their end is what causes issues.

The iPhone 4 is more than capable of running tasks simultaneously we just need developers to take advantage of it.

You have removed the explanation of why it doesn't multi-task. It's not a multi-tasking OS in any real sense if the applications developers have to put code in to share the processor. Yes it can run two things side-by-side but only if those two things play nicely with each other.

There are some things the iPhone does really well, it doesn't, however, multi-task.

Upvote 0
widehead, do not turn take this thread off topic. I suggest you read up on ios multitasking capability first. Then if you want, make a thread about it. I can explain its "multitasking" elsewhere too if you like. (not opinion, but fact)

back on topic, someone mentioned htey hope this doesn't make HTC become lazy with features and not include better speakers/camera etc.

The reason the current crop of android phones don't include features available on old symbian handsets is purely a economics issue. Android is young, so they start off basic. Then in later models they have more "better" features to include to differentiate the new phone from the old, making people like you and me want to upgrade our current phone because of its better features.

There is absolutely no reason why they couldn't make a phone with stereo speakers, top of the range camera, etc right now, except that they wouldn't make as much money releasing it right now.

Upvote 0
Personally, I wouldn't change anything about my phone except 2 things: more phone storage and an improved battery (or better battery management through Android updates).
Froyo somehow managed to improve my battery tremendously, the other day after about 5 hours it was only down to 95% compared to less than an hour on 2.1. But the storage and battery could do with being a bit bigger methinks.

Until someone explains the knee-jerk reaction that amounts to "Jobs is Satan and Apple is the Spawn of Satan" I'll put it down to pure envy.
I take it you weren't around for the antennagate with him firstly saying that there's no issue and then saying everyone is holding it wrong, not to mention pulling free cases for a design floor after September 30th and deciding what people can and can't do with their purchase. Then you get people sucked into their marketing saying everything they do is the best thing since sliced bread despite obvious flaws or underpar products (how long to get an FM radio in an iPod despite it being a DAP industry standard feature?). I know there's people like that on both sides of the fence but when they then come out after you put forward perfectly valid reasons for not liking product X and say you're just jealous or that you don't like them because you can't afford 1...I got a Creative ZV:M and people said I only got 1 instead of an iPod 5G because I couldn't afford an iPod despite my ZV:M actually costing

Upvote 0
With you on this, i had a Nokia N96 and it had a 5mp camera that even back in 2008 was way better than the one on the Desire now.

To say that the camera on the N96 was Way better is a big overstatement. I had one before my desire and it was only very slightly better than my desire.

The only thing I miss from my N96 is the TV out and the dual speakers. The speakers are not much of an issue to me as i use BT headphones and the greatness of the Desire far far outweighs the lack of TV out. Still got my N96 and boot it up now and again for old times sake but really don't miss that creaky piece of junk with a truly terrible OS.

Upvote 0
A lot of the things about better camera and speakers are a moot point really, it's only a complaint about divergence, a phone is a phone , a camera is a camera, ect ect , to get a PC thrown in as well , c'mon ! Re the recessed headphone socket , that will be the same as all iphones then , the correction of that problem was one of the "massive improvements" trumpeted by Apple bigging up the IP4 !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones