• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire not working newbie needs help

My bros old desire will start up but not get past two error messages. The first is :- Triangle exclamation mark.
The application Google Play services (process com.google.android.gms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
A force close button is available. when pressed the same message comes up 3 times then changes to the second error message of:- The process android.process acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. again with a force close button available.
This just keeps coming up. On the top info bar two Shortage of space icons appear along with a teardrop icon with a dot in it.
For the first error message you can press a shortcut and for a split second get some function but not enough to get thro settings to remove any apps.
He is not done anything technical with the phone and he has not set up the phone to connect to a computer as he hasn't got one.
Ive connected the phone to my computer but not been able to connect to his files. He has had space isues for a while and the last thing I tried was to update facebook and avg antivirus but the following day this problem started.
He has now got a new phone htc one but he wants to get his old phone numbers transferred to his new phone or at least get me to get them for him somehow. The guy in the shop said if we send it away to be fixed then not only will it cost him also he will more than likely lose all the numbers he is trying to get. So is there anyone who can help me with a guide for a newbie like me with very limited tech knowledge to solve this problem Thanks.
I have read thro the forums and managed to get to the reboot page by pressing the down button and the power button together and got the following info

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
RADIO-5.11.05.14
Aug 10 2010,17:52:18

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK

I have tried fastboot which only starts the phone up to the same problem.
Recovery goes to a picture of a desire with a red triangle with an exclamation sign in it.
I wont try the other two without some help. I hope this info helps.

A factory reset will wipe the data he wishes to save - not what he wants to do.

The first question is, did he sync contacts with Google? If he logs on to GMail from a web browser, using the account he used with his Desire, and see whether they are stored (click on the red word GMail at the top-left and select "Contacts"). If they are, then signing in with the new phone on the same GMail he should be able to sync them over the air.

If not, this is going to be trickier. The guy in the shop was right - a repair will certainly wipe the phone. In fact I suspect that a factory reset is indeed all that's needed to fix this, but it's also the one thing you don't want to do!

I've got to go to work now, but will see if I can think of something. It's a shame the phone isn't rooted, or this would be easy, but without that you have rather fewer options (and I'm a little reluctant to suggest rooting a phone that won't boot, though maybe using revolutionary and installing a custom recovery might help us. Keep that in reserve though).

Upvote 0
Ok, that went a little jargony at the end, so let me explain the problem:

The contacts are stored in an sqlite database in an area of phone storage (/data) that the user of an unmodified phone has no direct access to, and which cannot be mounted on a PC. So you cannot simply connect to a PC and copy them, you need software to do it.

HTC's HTC Sync software, which you can download, can copy the contacts to a PC - I think it will sync them with Outlook. Whether it will work with the phone in this state I don't know; I don't use Windows so don't use this software. It's one thing you could try though, but I suspect the phone won't be in a state to do this (it'll need software running on the phone to work).

If you can get the phone to work long enough to get into the contacts app ("People" if I remember HTC software) you can use the menu to "export" them. This will write them to a vcard file on the sd card. You then just need to get that to the new handset (a card reader and a computer if the phone plays up).

Have you tried pulling the battery out and leaving it out for a couple of minutes? This sometimes clears bad data in the RAM and fixes problems. Give it a shot. If it works, try the vcard export.

The screen with the red triangle is the recovery program. The standard one doesn't do much - lets you wipe the phone basically - so is no use here. There are custom versions which would give more options, but there's a learning curve in installing one, so that's the last resort to my mind. But with one of those we could make a backup, try some other things to fix the phone, and maybe have another (less convenient) way of copying the data off. Trouble is, I'm not at all sure that it will be possible with the phone in this state.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones