• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire outselling iphone 4 to 1 on Vodafone

photon00

Aug 3, 2009
UK
Just ordered a Desire from Vodafone. Spoke to a sales rep and he told me they have none left in stock. It will be next week before they deliver. Fine, I can wait! Interestingly he told me that they got in a shipment of 4000 phones two days ago and they have now sold out. Also interesting is that he claims this phone is outselling the iphone 4 to 1. I know this is a new phone and the iphone isn't. There is also the factor that iphone buyers will now be waiting for the iphone 4G. Still, I think it is a very impressive sales ratio.

thats intersting,

though probably due to the fact that most people considering getting an iPhone are probably waiting to hear about the iPhone 4, before buying.

I decided to go for the Desire for the customisability of Android and to get away from Apple's restrictions on apps and services. I bought my Desire 3 weeks ago and the O2 shop had plenty in stock.

Upvote 0
Just ordered a Desire from Vodafone. Spoke to a sales rep and he told me they have none left in stock. It will be next week before they deliver. Fine, I can wait! Interestingly he told me that they got in a shipment of 4000 phones two days ago and they have now sold out. Also interesting is that he claims this phone is outselling the iphone 4 to 1. I know this is a new phone and the iphone isn't. There is also the factor that iphone buyers will now be waiting for the iphone 4G. Still, I think it is a very impressive sales ratio.

To be honest im not surprised. The iphone has been around for quite a few years and in that time has only had minor face lifts. By model terms its now outdated.
Most people who want/ed an iphone will probably already have one by now and I expect those who are eligible for an upgrade are now waiting for the new one.
My minds pretty much made up on a Desire in three weeks time when my upgrades due BUT if I didn't get the Desire I certainly wouldn't get a 3gs simply because in a few months time its likely to be superseded.

That said though, its very good to see that the Desire and Android are taking their fair share of the market.
The downside for me is that im on Vodafone so I hope they have them in stock on the 25th when I go in for my upgrade !

I hope that Android grows as well in the UK as its doing across the pond.

Personally I don't get all the iphone hype but that's another story.

Upvote 0
To be honest im not surprised. The iphone has been around for quite a few years and in that time has only had minor face lifts. By model terms its now outdated.

That said though, its very good to see that the Desire and Android are taking their fair share of the market.

I hope that Android grows as well in the UK as its doing across the pond.

Personally I don't get all the iphone hype but that's another story.

Yep, only minor facelifts. However, my Desire isn't that dissimilar to my old Hero. Not that much has changed at all.

I'd love to see more Android media coverage in the UK. I'm not sure sure it's going to take over in the same way the iPhone did though. I've had to download so much stuff to get the Desire the way I want it (keyboards, media players, podcast managers) and I doubt Joe public will be bothered with that.

iPhone hype is only understood by those that have owned one (owned, not 'used'). Even people such as myself who have moved over to try Android will still have a respect for what the iPhone has bought to the table. There are still a lot of things that the iPhone does a lot better - it's just that Android is starting to receive a bit of polish here and there and the line is blurring.

I'm happy with the choice I made with Android - but I do still miss a lot of what the iPhone offered.

Upvote 0
I think a lot of staff are pushing it hard too.

I overheard an O2 guy saying that the new iPhone probably wouldn't be out until the end of the year. Total rubbish, but interesting nontheless.

I think they'd rather have the Desire sale right now than the customer saying they'll wait for the new iPhone.

It's all good though. More Androids out there can only be good for the rest of us. Hopefully we'll be graced with one or two decent games at last.

Upvote 0
Spoke to vodafone support today, call me sad but I like to see that the reps are saying about android vs iphone :p he certainly pushed me towards the desire, telling me out was by far the best phone on the market! They have a massive as for android on their homepage too. If you look in high street stores its more of the same. So they are definitely pushing it more.

When I got my hero I was the only person I knew with android, now I know about 20, with other people saying they will get one as their next phone

Upvote 0
It's all good Lekky.

Lets see what the 7th brings to the mix.

I was listening to an AndroidCentral podcast today and they mentioned that there hasn't been a single month this year that didn't have bigtime Android news in it.
It's funny reading how excited the Americans are about video chat on their EVO's - we've had that for years, and it's still a flop! ;)

For the life of me, I can understand why someone doesn't release a really good vanilla android device pre-loaded with their own launcher and widgets. Regular users would be able to dive right in and start using - and advanced users would be able to play around as usual - and there wouldn't be any update delays.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones