Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by g4rvd4, Jul 20, 2010.
Mine's 532. Any idea why it's so low?
2.1 Sense Desire is around that mark so you are not low as such (there should be comparison bars in Quadrant - see the "HTC Desire" entry?)
You may see Quadrant figures around the 1250-1500 mark for Desire which is what I suspect you are comparing to (around the Nexus One 2.2 entry in the Quadrant bars). These phones have been rooted and are running off 2.2 froyo ROMs which considerably increases the effective speed of android phones. If you look at the top of the forum you'll see a sub-forum about rooted phones dealing with this aspect. Otherwise, when HTC push out the 2.2 version of Sense, then you will get the jump from 500ish up to 1300ish.
Wish they would hurry up then lol
Rooting is a real option. It can be nerve-racking but if you follow the instructions carefully it is pretty straightforward, but there is a (small) risk and so the choice is yours. Check out some of the stickies in that forum I mentioned (link). I originally rooted just to get the app2sd capability because i kept hitting the phone memory limits for example.
If you're more patient than me (which is pretty easy) then the 2.2 version of Sense is supposed to be released Q4 this year (or was it Q3?). Second half anyway.
Would simply rooting improve performance? Or does a different ROM have to be installed?
To the degree being discussed - a different ROM needs to be installed. Tbh though, the rooting bit is the more nervewracking. Installing a different ROM is even less dangerous, even 0 risk I would argue provided you do a backup while doing it (which is an option you just check if you use the ROM Manager app noted in the sticky guides in the root thread), but I'm no expert so will elave for the more teccy forum members to confirm/deny. There can be some worrying moments - for example when changing to a ROM I got kicked into the android recovery mode (indeed it was just an icon). A search on google eventually showed that I just had to press a key combo to bring up some commands that were pretty easy to use manually. Do-able but hassle - do it once though and its easy. Only had this happen a couple of times though.
So, given that, if you've rooted then you may as well install a 2.2. ROM. What you'll miss from the HTC Sense is a few widgets (Bookmarks and People notably) although there are now alternatives to those (either Dolphin widget, or FolderOrganizer widgets for the former, and the paid version of Launcher Pro now includes an equivalent of the latter).
When I changed ROM I thought I would really miss Sense, but most of the key options (multi screens etc) are available in alternative android launcher apps anyway. There are Sense versions of 2.2 out there - I haven't tried any personally though. I imagine they will be slightly less stable than the current version
Also, if you do update and decide that actually you love Sense, then I believe you can return to Sense 2.1 if you want (your phone remains rooted). I haven't done this but there are a couple of threads dealing with it.
What do you gain by going to 2.2? Well the speed increase for one of course, but also apps2SD, auto updating of apps (haven't noticed this happen yet). The app2SD is incredibly useful.
I'm happy for the time being however I will look into rooting if Virgin delay the update longer than other carriers. All I'm doing on the phone works fine atm and gaming wise I'm all over the emulators so until any hardcore 3D games come out
I was just about to edit my post to add a "but it's up to you", so I'm glad you've got a level headed attitude. I'm on Virgin too - the good news is that typically I think it is stock ROM, so you should be amongst the first updates, even if it is from the website.
I really want to move to 2.2 with Sense but I am hesitant because I haven't received any answers to some questions that I'd posted at this forum..
1314, rooted with [ROM-FroYo] Official Froyo HTC Sense ROM (16/07 v1.0c | OpenDesire Team)
Going back to what nodders said about the froyo roms with sense, i notice no difference on that note. sense on this rom, is quite the same as it was on 2.1 pre root.
What questions specifically g4rvd4?
I would like to know:
1. If SMS reports actually work; I need a notification when the message is delivered, not when it is sent.
2. If contacts stored on phone can have custom labels.
3. If I can choose between different contact names that they have on their different accounts and they stay chosen.
[Let me elaborate - I have 2 contact items in google for my dad, one named 'Dad' and the other with his name. I choose the contact to be displayed as 'Dad' on my phone but it keeps reverting back to his name after a while. It becomes extremely frustrating when I search for 'Dad' and it comes up with nothing.]
4. If LED notifications stay on until the event is viewed, and not stop after a few minutes like it does currently.
These are the most harrowing issues, the rest I can live with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I await your answers. Thanks!
1. On Handcent I get both - a little icon next to the message tells you if it was successfully sent, and also informs you when it has been received.
2. You mean in terms of setting labels for emails and numbers and thing? If so then sure, on any version of android afaik. When you edit the phone contact details then simply click on the add/+ button and "Custom" will be an option. If you mean a label in the widget sense - then dunno I'm afraid.
3. Not really sure about this one. One option is that you can join contacts. I think that first contact in the join is the one that is always displayed. So go to your "Dad" item, edit, menu>join, select his name, and that might do it. Not sure if this is what you are after though.
4. Not sure about this one. Does this thread help?
1. I'm using Handcent now, but I'd really like to use the stock app that integrates well with everything. Currently you cannot send group sms to a group from the people app, through Handcent.
2. If you go to people > add new contact > then choose a 'phone' contact (not Google) are you able to set a custom label such as 'vodafone Ph.'?
3. If you go to a contact item, you can click on the top (near the link icon) to open the links window. From there you can click on the name and choose a different name to be displayed, from one of the different accounts. It changes when I choose it, but it reverts back to the previous one soon. I hope you have understood the issue.
4. I have read that thread, but it gives no solution. For sms notifications, Handcent will do the job, but what about missed calls, emails, etc? Plus I really font want to HAVE to use Handcent.
I only got 499
I disabled all other applications and got 512
i got 554
I got 521, that's with loads of apps running.
Wow. Big difference!
Just upgraded to 2.2 and it's 1157 now.
Nodders, please tell me what ROM you're using that lets you have custom labels.
I tried 2 ROMs: DeVillain and AdamG from XDA, neither have custom label option. On 2.1 I at least had them with Google contacts, now it isn't there at all! Please reply soon. I'll flash immediately.