1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Desire randomly powers up and shuts down

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ifb-online, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast

I wouldn't be surprised if my Desire's battery is on the way out, after all it's over 18 months old. So I could understand the phone running out of juice prematurely and unexpectedly, which it does sometimes. But how do you explain the phone switching itself on randomly? In fact the other night the phone, while attached to the charger, switched itself off and back on several times.

This has only started to happen in the last week or two. I updated the phone to the official HTC Desire Gingerbread upgrade a couple of months ago.

Ian

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rowlers

rowlers Android Enthusiast

sounds similar to mine... generally does it when its under a bit of load and or warm.
    doubt its the battery more like the mainboard reboot problem, discussed all over the 'net.
    prob back to HTC for warranty repair

3. ifb-online

Mine's not under warranty any more so I have ordered a new battery as the old one was definitely not holding its charge very well any more. I don't think my problem is related to load or heat as it spontaneously powers when off while being charged. I did remove the battery for half an hour and then power back on and it was reliable for the rest of the day yesterday, except that the charge was nearly gone after just 6-7 hours. Normally I can get several days of stand by as long as wifi and 3G are turned off.

Ian

4. rowlers

rowlers Android Enthusiast

Charging generates heat ;) taking the battery out allows it to cool down. Not saying its deffo the notorious mainboard reboot issue, but something to think about. Also AFAIK all HTC devices have a 2 year warranty if purchased after Jan 2010. Check it out!

5. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Water damage? Tampering with screws and void stickers? Because if not, the two year warranty cannot have expired as the desire wasn't released two years ago.

6. ifb-online

OK, I assumed it was a 1 year warranty, so thanks for that. I'm sure the battery is not guaranteed for that long, but in any case, if the new battery does not fix the problem I will be contacting HTC.

Ian

7. ifb-online

Well, I got the new battery but the problem wasn't solved. So I have been reading up on the re-boot hardware issue that some Desire owners have been experiencing. I was therefore expecting that mine would have to go back for repair, but as it seems you're asked to do a factory reset before being booked in for the repair, I thought I would do this anyway. Two days now and my Desire is running faultlessly and the battery life is back to normal. Looks like something software-wise went rogue inside my Desire.

Ian

8. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert

You got any hunch of a clue as to what it was?

9. ifb-online

No idea, and the phone has just re-booted all by itself despite working faultlessly for the last three days :(

Just about to call Carphone Warehouse...

Ian

10. ifb-online

As the phone is more than a year old CPW told me to contact HTC directly and they have booked a collection for next Monday. Apparently 2.3.5 is the latest Android release for the Desire. I'm running 2.3.3. Is anyone else running 2.3.5?

Ian

11. ifb-online

Phone was collected by UPS yesterday afternoon - let's see what the turnaround time is like!

Ian

12. ifb-online

Well that was impressive - my phone was collected on Monday afternoon and returned on Thursday morning. The mainboard has been replaced, along with some connectors and the IMEI number is different. I was a bit worried they might send me a replacement with an SLCD screen instead of the AMOLED one, but I can see that it's the original screen and shell.

Unfortunately, it was returned installed with Android 2.2 when I had upgraded to 2.3.3 and I was told it would come back with 2.3.5.

A nice touch is that it came back in a neat little box with "I'm Back!" printed on the top :)

Ian

PS Looks like I was told in error that 2.3.5 was available for the Desire according to a support rep. I have just spoken to and apparently phones are returned from repair with the last OTA release of Android, and of course 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) for the Desire was not releasted via OTA.

13. ifb-online

Hmmmm... phone reset itself early this morning :( I did unintentionally leave the wifi switched on overnight, but the battery wasn't flat... Ijust hope this is a one-off.

Ian

14. ifb-online

100% reliable for the last week...

Ian

15. billyroy

billyroy Lurker

Solved the heating/rebooting problem!!
    What I did was taking the phone apart, take out the bottom pcb.
    At the back (front side) there is a metal cover. Remove it, and use a solder heat gun to heat the processor and reflow the connections. Let it rest for 10 minutes and put the phone back together.

My Desire does not reboot any more!

16. ifb-online

Was your Desire no longer covered by the 2 year HTC warranty?

My own unit only started to reboot randomly in the last couple of months so if it is heat-related a cause must have occurred recently as in the summer months when using the phone in the car as a satnav the unit used to be almost too hot to touch and yet it didn't miss a beat.

Ian

17. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Continued exposure to heat does do damage

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews