1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Desire S Battery Life

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by megaduff, Jun 16, 2011.

1. megaduff

megaduff Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Hi all,

New to the forums and am about to buy my very first smart phone! But needed some advice first so thought I'd ask here.

I'm thinking of buying the Desire S but wanted to know the average battery life people have been getting out of it. If I take what I do now with my existing phone, which is basically make a few calls a day, text a fair bit each day, and throw in some checking of the Internet and videos, how long do you think from full charge I'd get to needing to power up again? Would you say the general battery life is good in the S?

Also, does anyone have any experience of owning a Desire Z? Just curious if anyone would recommend the Z over the S as I have toyed with the idea of getting a Z for a long time, but I can get the S for

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    It's going to depend if you have wifi/GPS/Screen on all the time and if you use vibrate with games, etc. An app that changes profile for you, switching on or off different things depending on day/time/location will help you save battery life.

Sometimes I've got through two working days - that's on a full charge before 9am until about 6pm the next day. For that I'm using it for few calls, texts, and some internet. With heavier use I need to charge it overnight for a full battery ready for the whole of the next day.

So, a full battery should last you from morning to evening without any need for more juice - even with fairly heavy usage (although what counts as heavy?!). And longer still, by up to half as much, if you're more easy with the gaming/internet, etc.

Who's your service provider and what are you currently paying? Will you be sticking with them to get your new phone?

megaduff likes this.
  3. sayeed91

sayeed91 Member
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    the battery is better than that of the iphone 4. my friend has an iphone 4 and has trouble keeping it going for a day. this phone for me last 2 days on average, that me paying 3d games for an hour and browsing the web on 3g very often. trust me this phone could give you 2 days after a week or so. in my opinion its better than the iphone 4, simply cause of android. hope i helped

megaduff likes this.
  4. megaduff

megaduff Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys.

My service prodvider is O2 and I will be sticking with them throught his one, as I have had fantastic service since joining them and do not want to budge. Great signal and great service - can't ask for anything more!

I am currently paying

5. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    I looked at the Incredible S before getting the Desire S. I didn't like the way it sat in my hand - it's bigger than the Desire S with its 4" screen and has that back which seems molded to the contours of the interior. I have fairly big hands, but this still didn't feel as comforable as the Desire S. It also felt more plasticy. The only other obvious difference is the 8MP camera.

A bigger screen and a 2-LED flash 8MP camera will add more drain on the battery, if battery performance concerns you.

6. agentfortune

agentfortune Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi. I am a new owner of a Desire S and like you was concerned about battery life. I use it for about an hour a day calling, maybe 5-10 texts, half an hour online and recently have used it for quite a bit of gaming.

With this amount of use i drain the battery to about 20% and it will need a recharge nightly.

However, I took my phone abroad recently, and cut out all of the non-essential applications - turned off GPS, wifi, roaming data, and just left it as bare bones connection for text and calls. It lasted for 4 days without many calls, and normal texting and no internet. Brilliant.

I also love the look and feel of the Desire S. Great bit of kit so far!

7. megaduff

megaduff Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Hey agent,

I did end up taking the plunge and getting the S, and I'm very pleased with my choice. Seems like I'm in the same situation as you, nightly charging for a bit of everything, but texts and calls have done well up to now.

I would say to anyone that where you work may be a big factor in deciding on a phone too. I work in IT and for the 8 hours I'm here, I have it charging on my laptop via the USB connection. At the end of the day, I leave the USB connector here and take the phone home. Leave it on all night too, and it's only down to 80% battery - brilliant! The next day, it's back to the office and charging off the laptop all day. When the weekend comes, take the cable and phone home and see how it runs then. But, if you're involved in an area of work where you have to be at a computer for the majority of it, keep it charging with the USB. It's been fantastic for me so far and I'm very happy with my choice!

Out of curiosity, where abroad did you go? I'm heading to Cyprus in 2 weeks and want to make sure I can still get service. Or will I have to get anything/pay anything extra?

8. marvin123

marvin123 Member
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired
    South London UK
    This phone's even better if you fit a gel case to it! It feels, then, very secure in your hands.
    I've only had my phone a little over two weeks and the first thing I bought for it was a black gel case (which, in fact, is a tranlucent grey) and this looks good on my non-black HTC Desire S. Without the case, the phone could easily slip out of your grasp. Also fitted a screen protector and bought a Mugen 1800mAhr battery to replace the orginal one.

Tags: