1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Desire S Reception Problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Doug J, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Doug J

Doug J Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Having now upgraded from my trusty Nokia E51 I am wondering whether these smart phones are actually any good as ........Phones !

Great phone, loads of functionality that keeps me entertained when my lot are engrossed on Britains got talent, but reception very poor. Dropped calls, voice breaking up and data connections dropped all the time. Works fine on WIFI.

Rang Orange who after some messing around sent me a new phone. Same problem. So today I switched the sim card back to my old Nokia and signal fine and no dropped calls :). Cant be Carrier then.

Orange have now despatched another Desire S. I wonder what will happen :thinking:

Advertisement

2. Doug J

Doug J Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    1 Week on. New Desire S and same problem. They are great gadgets but shyte phones !

3. ajh94

ajh94 Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Orange Telecomunications, Product marketing!
    Essex, UK
    I have heard the Desire S has some signal problems, I have tested it myself on my mates Desire S and I cannot find anything but I have seen the wi-fi does drop when held in a certain way

4. JFSG

JFSG Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    Is it the "death grip" you're referring to? Covering the top part of your phone (near the camera) will degrade the wifi signal and the bottom part (where the battery cover is) will degrade the cellular signal. That's my biggest gripe about this wonderful phone.. :(

5. marvin123

marvin123 Member
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired
    South London UK
    Had the same problem initially but then discovered this. Go to 'Settings' >> 'Wireless and Networks'>>Mobile Networks>>Network Mode and switch your phone to 'GSM only' and this will make it a phone again - at least for me, it does. Full 4 bars rather than 1 or 2 flicking on and off!

Admittedly you have to alter settings again if you want to browse t'internet.
    :)

6. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    My Desire S on Orange has no problem with the phone signal or call connectivity. And there's no difference when holding it or covering the bottom half with my hands - not that I'd ever hold a phone like that.

The effect of the Wifi 'death grip' is, however, noticeable. But, again, I don't hold the phone that way, so it's not a particular issue for me.

Tags: