1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Desire S vs original Desire and DHD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LD88, Jun 28, 2011.

1. LD88

LD88 Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    I am thinking of getting the Desire S, but just wanted to find out a few things first.

I've had a couple of original Desires, which were good apart from the short battery life. I also have a Desire HD which didn't really suit me - this one had very poor signal strength compared with other Android phones, and the GPS and wi-fi hardly worked at all.

With both the original Desires and DHD, I found the FM radio to be awful - compared to other phones I've tried (such as the Arc and SGS), with the same headphones. This is a feature I use quite a lot, so it would be quite important.

I was wondering if the Desire S has the same problems (ie GPS lock, signal and wi-fi strength, radio quality) - and also whether the battery life is any better than the DHD or original Desire?

Thanks for any help :)

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Very few of us have desire S's in this forum. This may be best moved to the desire S forum, where current users there may have had an S or DHD.

I'll leave that decision to you. If you want a mod or guide to move it, you can just click the report button under the big "tip this" button next to your post.

3. LD88

LD88 Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks for your reply - I had meant to put this in the DS forum so I'll follow your instructions :)

SUroot likes this.
  4. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Phone signal strength is the same as on my very reliable and rock solid Nokia 6303 classic, which is to say very good. The GPS has always worked, but some of the apps which use it aren't always the most intuitive. And the wifi picks up the same spots as my router, although the strength may vary a little, but not enough to prevent smooth connectivity.

What kind of things are you looking for with FM radio? I live in a pretty bad area for FM reception, but it's generally OK on the phone. It picks up the main stations and some of the lesser local ones in the same way as the Nokia and better than the battery operated FM/MW radio I use for the bathroom. The general volume could be louder, but this is probably thanks to the EU cap. The FM radio widget/app itself is very basic, but does the job.

For some feedback about the battery life, have a look at this thread. Generally, it's been reported to last longer than the Desire and DHD.

5. LD88

LD88 Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks for the info notebook.

Good to hear that the phone picks up signal strength as good as your old Nokia - wifi, GPS and battery life sounds fine too.

With the previous Desire's I've had, it's only picked up one local station, and even Radio 1+2, which has worked on every other phone I've had, didn't pick up at all, or very poorly on the Desires - so it would be nice if these worked on the DS.

6. notebook

None

Jun 10, 2011
    From memory, I'm able to pick up the four BBC radio stations, Classic FM and a few of the local independents. They all come in loud and clear. I do get some fizz now and again, especially at night, although moving the phone/aerial helps, but the general reception for terrestrial signals is bad here, e.g. I can't get all the FreeView TV channels.

7. LD88

LD88 Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Ok thanks for that - that seems fine, think we live in a poor reception area too so it's good that it picks up something.

Just one more thing - does it suffer with the 'death grip' flaw with either the wi-fi signal or network reception?

8. notebook

None

Jun 10, 2011
    There's definitely a grip effect concerning the wifi. Depending on how you hold the phone at the top, the wifi signal drops, although not always so that it stops working. You might find this an issue if you tend to hold the phone from the top or cup it in your left palm when using it in landscape mode. When I do the latter, the signal can drop to its lowest level, but there is still a working connection. I really haven't found this to be a significant problem for me, so far.

I haven't noticed any issues with the phone signal and call connectivity. It's very good, if not better than any phone I've previously owned. Certainly as good as my Nokia which I never had a problem with and noticeably better with call clarity.

Some have said they have noticed a drop in the phone signal strength when totally, and I mean totally, covering the bottom half of the phone with both hands. When I tried this before I didn't see any change. Having just done it again, there might have been a drop of one bar, but I doubt anyone is going to use a phone like that! I'm pretty certain other phones would be affected in the same way.

9. LD88

LD88 Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Ok that's fine - as long as you can still hold it in some way and still use wi-fi or network signal then it doesn't sound too bad.

As you said, many other phones do get affected too, and it's not as if I'd be gripping the phone in that way!

Thanks for the help, think I'll go ahead and upgrade to the DS :)

10. slugger09

slugger09 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Northern Ireland
    Hi, FM Radio is an important factor for me as I listen to is 8 hrs per day at work, Something important to bear in mind is the FM aerial is wired into the mic part of the head phones, so if you use regular head phones that don't come with a mic you won't get signal as they don't have the mic wire in them. For me anyway BBC R1&2 are fine in doors and out, anything else in doors is touch and go, out doors no issue.

Battery life for me is excellent, I took my phone of the charger this morning at 5.30am, I listened to music/radio for 8hrs, checked email and twitter a couple of times and now at 6pm I have about 60% battery left which is very good for an android phone.

Wifi does have an issue if you hold the top of the phone but other than that no issues. I should add if you are on Orange UK it has UMA meaning calls texts etc can go through WiFi

11. LD88

LD88 Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    I didn't know the headphones could make such a difference - I've been using what I think are regular headphones which get great reception in phones such as the SGS, and poor reception in the original Desire. Are the headphones that come with the phone suitable or are they not designed for the radio?

Battery life in that case is quite impressive - I'd have thought using the radio for 8 hours would pretty much drain the battery completely.

12. slugger09

slugger09 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Northern Ireland
    The headphones that come with it are fine but don't stay in my ears so I use a pair that came with an Xperia X10,

It must just be the way HTC Design there phones, a regular headphone jack has 2 wires, left/right, the FM antenna could be connected to either of these which most manufacturers do, however HTC in there logic connect it to the 3 wire which is mic, mean if your headphones do not have a built in mic you won't get a signal.

13. notebook

None

Jun 10, 2011
    @slugger09

Are you sure about that? I've just tried the Desire S on FM radio with an old pair of standard Sansa earphones and a pair of Sennheiser HD 238s. The Sansa's had trouble picking up some of the weaker signals, but with the BBC stations and stronger independents there was no difference compared to the stock HTC 'phones. The Sennheisers were equal to the HTCs in every department regarding reception, if not better. The reason for the Sansa's performance may have been because the wire was shorter than the other two.

Other people on these forums report no problem using their headphones/earphones with their HTCs.

Tags: