• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire Screen Type

I don't think the touch panel will have much to do with the type of screen (could be wrong).

On the back of your HTC Desire box, where it lists the specifications, what does it say for the screen/display? I think if it's SLCD it says "3.7" Touch Sensitive Display" or words to that effect. If it's AMOLED it'll mention it.

Upvote 0
The way I found out is to look at a black screen in the dark. If its S-LCD (like mine) then you will see the tell-tail light bleed from the edges of the screen, like most LCD screens suffer from.

In case its a way of telling, the model of mine is A8181 and the serial number starts with "SH07WPL..."

I was most disappointed to find mine had S-LCD, I very much wanted an LED screen.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
i was wondering the same thing about the screen.
On the back of my box the first thing listed under Highlights is:
Enjoy a vivid visual experience on the large 9.4cm AMOLED display.

Under the specifications on the back of the box it also lists:
Display: 9.4cm AMOLED touch sensitive screen.

The model number is also A8181, and my serial number starts with SH081PL.....

Im guessing if the words AMOLED are not mentioned on the back of the box, you probably have a S-LCD screen.

Upvote 0
For reference, I got my Desire S-LCD phone from Carphone Warehouse two weeks ago, it's a standard non-branded phone and the box does not have the words "AMOLED screen" anywhere on it. Says "3.7 inch touch sensitive screen" instead, as was mentioned above.

I had hoped I got one of the last AMOLED ones, as stock was sold out almost everywhere. However, it appears I got one of the first S-LCD ones instead.

I hope someone can give me a reason why the S-LCD might be better, because I feel slightly sad and cheated that its not an AMOLED one, I have to admit. When I was deciding to get one, all the adverts and reviews said how wonderful the screen is, now I find out I've been sold one with an "inferior" screen.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
I hope someone can give me a reason why the S-LCD might be better, because I feel slightly sad and cheated that its not an AMOLED one, I have to admit. When I was deciding to get one, all the adverts and reviews said how wonderful the screen is, now I find out I've been sold one with an "inferior" screen.
I wouldn't say it's inferior, just different. I've seen AMOLED and S-LCD side by side, and since I'm into photography I look for accurate colours and the LCD does a better job in this regard. The AMOLED screens are too saturated with too much contrast. For typical use, the AMOLED screen is fine though, and the new S-LCD screen is just as good with battery life too. So unless you want the heavily saturated colours, the S-LCD is just as good. Resolution is just as good too, and technically it's better since AMOLED uses pentile matrix, but to the eye they look the same. Don't worry too much about it.

Upvote 0
have you tried looking at it at an acute angle with a black picture on the screen. On slcd the black looks greyish, in amoled it stays pure black.
Or just look at the screen in the dark with a black picture and you'll see the backlight is glowing for S-LCD. AMOLED turns off the light completely as it is all LED light without a backlight.
IT matters when rooting because of the different drivers required by the two screen types.
Good point...I forgot about that. I was just thinking of performance wise it doesn't really make a difference. I'm happy with mine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones