1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Desire slow on wifi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kungfuman, Jun 12, 2010.

1. kungfuman

kungfuman Member

Jun 7, 2010
    For some reason my desire is quite slow on my home wifi. On speed tests I get around 600-700kbit/s, whereas on 3g i get 1800-2000kbit/s. My other devices (laptop, ps3, ipod) dont suffer from slow speeds and can get around 12mbit/s. I've tried updating the router firmware and changing the channels but its still slow, even when my desire is right next to the router! Router is a netgear dg834gt. Any idea what is causing to be so slow?

Advertisement

2. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

don't know your answer but, I can tell you that my wifi connection at home is really good and my wifi at work is really slow

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    Use app WiFi analyzer and check for channel congestion

4. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

nice app thanks

5. PJD

PJD Well-Known Member

My Wifi on the home router is also excellent infact it connects quicker now after that update

6. kungfuman

kungfuman Member

Jun 7, 2010
    tried changing router channels and used that wifi analyzer but still doesnt help. speeds still tend to be around 700kbit/s :(

7. kungfuman

kungfuman Member

Jun 7, 2010
    any chance some of you can post what speeds you are etting through your wifi when running a speedtest? would like to know how it compares to my desire wifi speeds.

8. mclemme

mclemme Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Programmer
    Denmark
    Using the SPEEDTEST.NET app I get 8161/1743 kbps, my DSL line is a 10Mbit/s download and 2Mbit/s upload line.

My router is an Asus WL-500g Premium with OpenWrt firmware (linux based router OS).

Distance to the router was ~1.5m at the time of the test

9. kungfuman

kungfuman Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks for that. Its really bugging me now. I'm wondering if it could be a firmware issue. The last two routers I've tried it on have been netgears, gonna find one that is another brand and see.

Tags: