• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire Stock SMS background coolur

paulcooper

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2010
I do a lot of texting and have noticed that my battery gets hammered when using the sms app and realised that it is black text on white background, which is clearly eatin away at my battery.

Is there any way of changing the background and text colour?

Thanks

You can't change the background colour on the stock message app. Download Hancent or ChompSMS from the market, both are fully customizable. BTW, I very much doubt that the white background is having a meaningful impact on your battery, unless you have the brightness turned to maximum and your message app is open for hours every day! ;) More likely it's the fact that you're using the radio to transmit and receive data when texting, that's one of the biggest users of battery juice.

Upvote 0
I have tried handcent and keep removing at due to issues, i am trying chompsms at the moment, cannot see anywhere to change the colour scheme.

I beg to differ on the battery usage, as it been dropping drastically over past few days due to sending so much sms's unlike when i just send a few.
got brightness set to auto.

Upvote 0
ChompSMS > Menu > Settings > Customize Look > Conversation List (or) Conversation > Background. You can select a solid colour or choose a wallpaper/photo from your gallery for both portrait and landscape views.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the battery, I was actually saying that the battery drain is most likely due to sending and receiving messages, like you say :) Screen brightness does effect the battery use, but only slightly unless your screen is on most of the time.

I tend to use a switch to adjust screen brightness, I found the Auto setting to be unreliable. Right now I'm using the SwitchPro widget and it lets you choose the brightness levels that cycle whenever you press the switch. I have 4 settings: 10%, 50%, 80% and 100%.

Reactions: paulcooper
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones