1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Desire stuck in boot loop (unrooted) - please help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pinmac1, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    I have been having trouble with Maps in that when I try to open it it force closes. Also a few other strange happenings over the last couple of days (unable to ring certain phone numbers, force closing internet applications). So I thought that I would turn off and start from scratch. As soon as I entered my pin code it rebooted again and now all that happens is that I get the HTC logo, followed by the Virgin logo and then it reboots and back up comes the HTC logo and round and round it goes. I assume that this is what is meant by a boot loop?

It's an unrooted phone from Virgin with 27Mb of memory left. I'd really prefer not to have to factory reset if possible as it'll be a pain to reinstall everything but am desperate to get it back up and running as I feel lost without it it.

Any help very gratefully received.

Advertisement

2. Pinmac1

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Forgot to say, I have taken out the battery and SIM and left it a while before reassembling but still the same problem.

3. lob

lob Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Student
    London, UK
    Strange. Try holding vol. down when you turn it on. I'm curious as to what will happen...

I Think I'm correct is saying that you would be lucky to factory reset it. Sorry.

I don't want to be defeatist, but it looks like something you will have to take to Virgin.

:-(

Pinmac1 likes this.
  4. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Android Expert

Oct 8, 2010
    Male
    Hypnotherapist
    Puerto Pollo
    Nah this is real fixable I think, download this and come and post over in the all things root section, where's there's more technical help available.

Pinmac1 likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    One other thing to check: did you try booting it without the SD card in? Just wondered whether it's possible it's a problem with the card rather than the phone itself, and that's the simplest way I can think of testing it.

Pinmac1 likes this.
  6. Pinmac1

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Thanks all for the replies. Lob, I have tried starting with the volume button pressed and I get the tiny writing with various options. I haven't tried resetting it to factory settings yet as I was hoping to find an alternative. Hadron, I have tried with no SIM card but it still continuously reboots.
    Ironically, InfernalByte, I have always avoided rooting as I didn't want to "brick" my phone. Looks like I might have managed it anyway!
    Looks like I'm going to have to get on to Virgin to see about a repair :mad:.

7. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Android Expert

Oct 8, 2010
    Male
    Hypnotherapist
    Puerto Pollo
    I'm not sure but you may be able to run the RUU without rooting, which is why I suggested you ask at all things root.

Pinmac1 likes this.
  8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Did you try without the *SD* card? It wasn't the SIM I was asking about.

I think it's a long shot anyway, but have seen bad cards cause strange problems, so worth a try.

Pinmac1 likes this.
  9. Pinmac1

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Sorry managed to read SM where you wrote SD! Tried with no SD card and still the same. Thanks for the suggestion though - willing to try anything.
    InfernalByte, didn't realise that you meant without rooting. Will do as you suggest.

10. Pinmac1

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Woohoo I've got it back!!!!! I asked on the rooting sub-forum and they recommended a reset which I did with no great hope but it worked and I am now busy setting it all up again. Many thanks for all the suggestions on this post.

Tags: