1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Desire stuck on white screen with htc logo!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MexHernandez, Apr 11, 2012.

1. MexHernandez

MexHernandez Lurker

Hi,

Had my desire for 18 months. I've done nothing to it with regards mods or anything. Its as it came from Vodafone.

Last week or so it has been rebooting itself randomly whilst on web pages, usually when I have the charger plugged in. Now tonight its stuck on the white screen with htc logo.

When I take the battery out and put back in and load up pressing the volume key I get the following message and options;

Bravo PVT1 Ship S-On
    Hboot-0.93.0001
    Microp-031d
    Touch Panel-Synw0101
    Radio-5.11.05.27
    Aug 10 2010, 17:52:18

Hboot

Fastboot
    Recovery
    Clear Storage
    Simlock

When I press the power button it then brings up

Bootloader
    Reboot
    Reboot Bootloader
    Power Down

Which option do I go for? I don't want unless I can help it, to lose all the stuff on the phone. I don't know whether the contacts are stored on sim or phone! Help please!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

It's the PVT1 faulty motherboard over heating issue. Use your 24 month warranty to return it to HTC

3. MexHernandez

MexHernandez Lurker

ah right, not the news I was hoping for. I'm assuming I take the card & sim out first?

4. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert

Sim, yes.
    Memory card.. I ain't too sure.

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Contacts are stored on the phone but likely to be backed up to your Google account (I believe that is the default, unless you set it otherwise).

If you can boot the phone you can export them to SD from the contacts app. Best chance is to get the phone cool (but not damp!), then maybe it will boot for a while.

6. Hadron

VIP Member

Contacts are stored on the phone but likely to be backed up to your Google account (I believe that is the default, unless you set it otherwise).

If you can boot the phone you can export them to SD from the contacts app. Best chance is to get the phone cool (but not damp!), then maybe it will boot for a while.

7. The Benolds

The Benolds Lurker

I am having this problem with the same screen appearing except it wont even let me choose an option. Can I assume it is in fact "the PVT1 faulty motherboard over heating issue" and it is permanently broken?
    Also, I do not care about my numbers being lost, I can get them all back...
    Where are texts stored? I haven't meddled with the defaults and I have a micro SD card.

Will the texts be saved on the phone itself, or the SD card.... Or somewhere else?

8. Hadron

VIP Member

Texts are stored on the phone.

Going straight to the hboot screen and being unable to select an option could also mean that your volume key has malfunctioned.

9. The Benolds

The Benolds Lurker

Right... That's a real shame =/

And Maybe, but that wouldnt explain why my power button doesn't work either, considering it works to turn the phone on...

10. Hadron

VIP Member

Ah, so you can move up and down the option list, just not select? Or you cannot do either?

You can't assume that it's necessarily the PVT1 overheating issue. The OP was suffering random reboots when using the phone while charging, i.e. circumstances under which we'd expect it to get hot. If you've not been suffering something similar then it's possible there's a different cause.

However, if you cannot do anything at all with it then the options are limited! You could try pulling the battery out, let the phone get quite cool, then re-insert and see whether you can boot it. If you can get it booted then there are SMS backup utilities you can install (I uses SMS Backup+ to back up to my GMail, but MyBackup can also back up messages to SD).

If it remains completely unresponsive, then I think your only realistic option is to return it to HTC for repair. If buttons don't respond when it's in the hboot screen then I suspect it's a hardware problem of some sort (as a problem with the android software would not affect the bootloader). HTC offer a 2 year warranty, so most people are still covered as long as the phone has not been exposed to moisture.

In principle you may still be able to reflash the phone's software with a ROM Upgrade Utility (RUU), but you'd lose your data anyway if you do that, and if there is a hardware problem that won't help, and could make things worse.

The Benolds likes this.
  11. The Benolds

The Benolds Lurker

I can do neither =/
    I'll try your battery suggestion and see how it works out, thanks.

12. ginetic20

ginetic20 Lurker

i have a huge problem with my htc desire. im also stuck in black background with htc logo and a 4 triangle with "!" in the middle in every corner. the huge problem is i cant access fastboot because (volume +/- + power and back button + power) is not working! what should i do?

13. Hadron

VIP Member

Firstly, what if anything did you do before this started? That's a very bad sign, but generally doesn't happen spontaneously - most commonly after an RUU failed.

I suspect you really can't get into fastboot, but just to check, are you sure you are doing the fastboot/hboot thing right? Power the phone down (pull the battery out - may as well leave out for 2 mins). Boot the phone while keeping the back button pressed. That should take you to fastboot if it still exists. Sorry to ask that but sometimes people have misread the instructions for this.

If not, the next step and chances of a fix depend on how you got into this state. Probably the only hope of a user fix is an RUU, so can you tell us the software version and network branding of the phone?

14. siennaxle

siennaxle Lurker

Forgive my newbiness. I've got a HTC (T-Mobile) G2 that is similar to the Desire Z and stuck on that white screen and will not let me use the up/down volume rocker to make any selections. It's stuck, but I know that it's not frozen as I can add and remove the USB cable and it will show:

FASTBOOT (without the cable)
    FASTBOOT USB (with the cable)

Can you let know how I can reflash the phone's software using RUU? Is there a tutorial on this?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

15. Hadron

VIP Member

There's not much to running an RUU - download it to a PC, connect phone in fastboot mode, and when it says fastboot usb on the phone run the RUU on the pc.

As for which RUU, best would be to ask in the T-Mobile G2 forum here (in the Android Phones section).

If your phone is under warranty I'd get it looked at instead. Buttons not responding when in fastboot mode sounds likely to be hardware rather than software to my mind.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews