• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire takes >5 mins to shut down

Nope....I'm in Android 2.2 and my shutdowns range from 5 seconds to 'infinite' (ie, after 20 minutes I just end up taking the battery out.

It's not a biggie for me cos I don't often shut down, but it can be annoying.

Yes, very annoying when it happens. They definitely fixed a S/W problem in 2.2 because it's sorted out the problem for quite a few users. Looks like your problem has a different cause, whatever that might be.

Upvote 0
OK. I've had this problem, which I thought was caused by not unmounting the SD card. However, I've recently been unmounting it before switching the phone off and I thought that had fixed it. Except...

... last night I wanted to reboot my phone - I do it about once every 2 weeks, just to clear everything out. I hit the power off button at approx 23:30 before I went to bed. I woke up this morning at 08:00, showered, got changed etc. Ready to leave the house at about 08:35, and the phone *STILL* hadn't shut down!! Nine sodding hours!

I'm still on 2.1, and have been loitering with regard to putting 2.2 on. Think I'll just have to take the plunge!

Upvote 0
My original Desire had this problem, it would take over 10 minutes to shut down. After reading a few threads on here about it, I used a task killer and also un mounted the SD Card etc. Nothing made any difference and so i always had to pull the battery out to switch the phone off.

My camera started playing up after a couple of weeks and i had the split screen and pink image problem that others seems to have to begin with also. I took my handset back to the shop i bought it from to let them know i wanted the camera fixed and they just swapped it for another handset. I have never had a problem with the powering off at all on this one, it always switches off in less than 15 seconds. This was true even before the Froyo update so, although it may not be a simple software issue, if the Froyo update sorts it thats good. Otherwise, it may be better to contact the place you got your handset from and say its faulty.

Upvote 0
Can't understand why unmounting the SD card would help at all......it's for stopping read/write on the card so you can take it out safely.......:/ Unless, there's a software bug that tries to complete a backup or cache delete during power off.....

Most likely cause is software bug (partialy fixed in 2.2?) or a corrupted app keeping the system busy. Not had this problem with my phone personally, must be a real pain waiting so long for a shut down!

Upvote 0
I have this problem too... The only reason I've needed to shut my phone down is because its doing some weird sh*t with the signal. All of a sudden the phone signal disappears and I can't make any calls or anything, even though I know I'm an area where I usually have signal.

I ended up taking the battery out. Even when I put it back in, I don't always get signal back, so I do it all over again!!! Think I'll take a trip to T-Mobile!!

Upvote 0
Hi. This too is my first post. Hello....

This morning I installed about half a dozen apps to create some space, and as they still appeared on the menu, I though I'd shut the phone off to clear then away and start again.

It took an age. Seriously, about 10 minutes. I took the battery out in the end. Then I came here, and had a look. Tried it again and it took about a minute, maybe 30 seconds or so.

I had ATK running, but that didn't seem to matter. Oddly, as i type this, it's become very sluggish. I'm hoping that's because I'm typing directly onto a forum...

Upvote 0
+1 for removing Astrid as the solution. Thanks
Yeah I use Astrid as a task list. If I kill it, via Settings>Applications>Running Services then my phone shuts down normally.
The poster above who was having problems doesn't appear to be using Astrid, or in fact any apps that I am using.
It could be that there is a wider issue with the kernel not killing apps that force themselves to stay alive in the background so as to not get killed when the phone is on as part of the memory management.

I was being brief because I was using my desire to write that last post.

Upvote 0
My daughter bought herself a Desire in may. It has never been able to shut down - not even on the first day she had it, before she had installed any apps.
Regarding all the posts on this subject I do believe there is a bug in the OS, so an update is warmly welcome...
A wild shot in the dark, but maybe unmount the SD card and reformat it (back up stuff first) and remount it. I had issues with writing to the SD card when I first got my Desire until I formatted it. Other than that it always shut down within seconds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones