• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire turns off random times

darkbyte

Lurker
Jun 26, 2011
Hi All,

I have a year old HTC Desire and I notice over past few days that my Desire would some times shut down after the screen went off and the only way to get the phone working again is to take the battery out and the phone would reboot. After a few hours of scratching my head and looking in the forums for an answer I thought about this and tried open up the back of the phone and tighten up the screws at the back of the phone. There is 4 visual ones at the back the others are covered. Since then its not turn off at strange times at all. Its must be to do with the battery contacts getting old or if the phone gets sightly warm it loses making contact with the circuit board.

DB :p

Hi All,

I have a year old HTC Desire and I notice over past few days that my Desire would some times shut down after the screen went off and the only way to get the phone working again is to take the battery out and the phone would reboot. After a few hours of scratching my head and looking in the forums for an answer I thought about this and tried open up the back of the phone and tighten up the screws at the back of the phone. There is 4 visual ones at the back the others are covered. Since then its not turn off at strange times at all. Its must be to do with the battery contacts getting old or if the phone gets sightly warm it loses making contact with the circuit board.

DB :p

Interesting.....

I am tempted to try this myself.

I'm due an upgrade soon, so I can't really be bothered to send my Desire off to HTC. I will also face the added hassle of unrooting and flashing a stock ROM.

As you're probably aware, it's a fairly common problem on the HTC Desire.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with my HTC desire, which I've had for 1,5 years now. It was really frustrating... I changed the battery to one with a tighter fit, I tried a hard reset, I tried setting it to gsm only as HTC suggested me, I tried each and every solution I could find. It just started out of the blue, had nothing to with apps etc.
I was thinking about just giving up. Sending it back to HTC for repairs would probably cost me, and I wasn't looking forward to that.
Then I thought, what the hell, I'm just going to root my device and put a rom on it (cyanogenmod 7) and the problem is fixed! It's weird, but true. Well, no more warranty, but my phone works better than ever!
So, if anyone is looking for a solution to this problem, and you're ready to give up, this could do the trick for you. It won't work for everyone, but it might for some.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones